Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

my son is in college, he had double pneumonia in the spring.

my son is in college, he had double pneumonia in the spring. He just told me he has had chest pains between his breasts but more to the right side but he only gets the pain when he is at rest or staying still. The pain is becoming more as each month goes by.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Other than the intermittent pain, does your son have any other symptoms, fever, problems breathing etc?

RickMD :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : Other than the intermittent pain, does your son have any other symptoms, fever, problems breathing etc?
RickMD :

I look forward to your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i had to go get a credit card all set now.

he says when he excerises he feels fine it's only when he's sitting in class or not doing much of anything. it doesn't hurt when he goes to sleep. he's been taking protein drinks and works out regularly. no fever no breathing problems

Thank you for that extra information.

It sounds like your son is an otherwise healthy young man.

Do you know if the pain is related to his breathing motions, how long it lasts, does it feel deep, boring, sharp, dull etc?

How long does the painful episodes last?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes he is healthy. he says the pain comes and goes, sharp pain, he's been complaining to me about it now for a month, but the pain is becoming more prominent since the summer. just last week the medical doctor at mass maritime academy said his lungs sounded clear. he'll be shipping out in a couple of weeks on a commercial ship so now i'm worried.

Well, I can understand your concern since you son will soon be very far away from medical care. Although, I would like to take a moment and congratulate your son on making it through the Maritime Academy. :-)

Since he was examined by a MD just last week, as he was having these symptoms, it most likely is nothing to be concerned about. That being said, since so many conditions, anything from acid reflux, GI problems, chest inflammation, muscle strains, etc can cause intermittent pains in this area I would feel better, as a parent of 5 myself, if your son had a more extensive workup then just a quick listening to his lungs.

It might be worthwhile to have an internal medicine MD who is not affiliated with the Academy to give you son a through going over. It would be important for your son to stress the fact that he will be shipping out soon so that the doctor does, perhaps, a more extensive investigation then he might otherwise do for this type of pain in such a healthy young man.

From what you have posted I do believe, however, that he will be OK.

That being said, when it comes to the health of our children it is better to be safe rather than sorry....

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the picture. I bet it won't take long for some nice young lady to grab a hold of him ;-)

Our oldest Daughter just gave us our first Grandson last week......sure is fun.

I wish your son the very best. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Pain in the area your son is pointing at can be from a huge number of issues as I've discussed. Hopefully a through evaluation by a doctor who takes his complaint seriously will rule out anything serious.

I would think that the Captain of his first ship would want all these sorts of issues sorted out prior to setting sail....