Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Is rectal leakage a sign of cancer?

Is rectal leakage a sign of cancer?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Are you able to hold your feces in at all?

Customer:

Oh yes. Sometimes I just see a tiny bit of yellow stuff on the toilet paper when I wipe.

RickMD :

Do you find feces in your underwear all the time?

Customer:

No, not at all.

RickMD :

Ok. That is good.

RickMD :

To answer your question, from what you have posted, I do not believe this tiny amount of yellow stuff on your toilet paper is a sign of cancer. I would not worry about this at all.

RickMD :

Of course, if you are really worried that you may have colon cancer or any other form of GI cancer, then a complete workup by a gastroenterologist, possibly including endoscopy, abdominal imaging etc, would be find any evidence of disease in these areas

RickMD :

So. What is the take home message? I do not think you have to worry that you have cancer based on what you have told me this evening.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

I went to a GI doc years ago and he did not think a colonoscopy was necessary.

RickMD :

From what you have told me tonight I do not think it is necessary either at this point but, if you are really worried, it is a very helpful test in cases of GI problems.

RickMD :

Basically, what you are seeing on your toilet tissue is not anything to be concerned about.

Customer:

I saw my PCP the other day and she said that I had an anal fissure and did not want to order a colonoscopy.

RickMD :

Colonoscopy may not be needed in evaluating an anal fissure.

RickMD :

Usually all that is needed is a direct rectal exam

Customer:

Now I am worried that I need a colonoscopy. How do I get someone to order one for me?

RickMD :

The best person would be a GI doctor. You could discuss with her your concerns, your history of an anal fissure and your desire to make sure everything is OK.

RickMD :

A colonoscopy is normally performed by an GI doctor.

Customer:

But wouldn't I need a referral from my PCP?

RickMD :

That depends on what your health care insurance demands, since they have to pay for it. For example, in my health plan, I can just make an appointment with any sub specialist without going through a PCP. In California, for patients who have Kieser Health, for example, I believe they have to go through their PCP for almost everything....

RickMD :

You would have to talk to your insurance company to see what you need to do if you require a specialists, like a GI doctor, care.

RickMD :

I know that you didn't ask for this, but here is a very good article from the NIH on anal fissures:

RickMD :

Customer:

Yes, I think so. So you think I need to see a GI doc?

RickMD :

From what you posted on this page, I don't think that the tiny bit of yellow stuff on the toilet paper when you wipe is a sign of anything terrible wrong so, from that point of view, I do not think you need to see a GI doctor.

RickMD :

That being said, I can tell you are very concerned so, in that way, consulting with a GI doctor wouldn't be such a bad idea....

RickMD :

Does that make sense to you?

RickMD :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.