Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

there are two inflamed spots on either side of my groin where

there are two inflamed spots on either side of my groin where the lower abdomen meets the upper leg. These spots are very tender to the touch and I have been having moderate lower right abdomen pain. I have an appointment to see a doctor but do I need to go to the emergency room?

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

How long have these spots been present? Did they appear at the same time?

RickMD :

do you have any medical problems or take any medication

RickMD :

How large are these spots?

RickMD :

Is the skin broken or have any blisters/lesions on it in these areas?

Customer:

I noticed these tender areas about 3 or 4 days ago. yes they appeared at the same time but the right side is more tender and slightly more inflamed.

RickMD :

What is your height and weight?

Customer:

I have had severe appendicitis symptoms but blood work showed that appendicitis was not it. Never determined what that issue was and that was about 3 years ago. Since then i have had no medical problems and i do not take any medication.

Customer:

the inflamed spots look like a muscle that is running at an angle towards the groin, about 1/2" wide 2" long.

Customer:

I am 5'9", 140lbs.

RickMD :

Inflamed spots on the surface of the body are not part of the signs or symptoms of appendicitis so there is no need to be concerned about that condition.

RickMD :

Is it this inflamed area on the same area of each leg or is is located in a different part of the limb from one side to the other?

Customer:

The skin is not broken but i did notice shortly before the sore spots a rash forming on my lower back on the waistline. I thought i had been bitten by a spider over night, but since then the rash is spreading along my waistline towards the front.

Customer:

the inflamed areas mirror each other.

RickMD :

Hmmmm......interesting. Other then the inflamed areas do you have any other bodily sympoms?

RickMD :

symptoms......

Customer:

just some pain in my lower right abdomen. it was enough to wake me up last night and i am a heavy sleeper

RickMD :

Any nausea/vomiting etc?

RickMD :

It seems that you have gone offline. It is possible that it is just a glitch with your connection. I will continue and see if you return.

RickMD :

Thank you for all the extra information. From what you have posted I do not believe that it is necessary for you to go to the ER at this point. You should be OK to keep the appointment you already have scheduled.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

oddly, i have been keeping to my triathlon training during the rash and the tender spots and that has not increased the pain or seemed to have done anything.

Customer:

no nausea or vomiting

RickMD :

That is another sign to me that this is not anything that need ER treatment. You are obviously in good shape and otherwise healthy.

RickMD :

It might be helpful, especially if these lesions are changing very much, to take a picture with the date on it (from a cell phone etc) to show your doctor when you see him.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes

RickMD :

Good. Have a wonderful evening.

Customer:

do you think it could be hernia

RickMD :

No. It would be very unusual for it to appear in two different spots at once.

Customer:

ok

RickMD :

My pleasure.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

RickMD :

And hernia's are not usually inflamed in nature....

Customer:

Are my symptoms strange enough that you don't have any possible causes?

RickMD :

Your condition, while talking about it on "chat" is helpful, really requires a hands-on examination. But, to directly answer your question, whatever it is does not seem to require a trip to the ER.

Customer:

OK, thanks I guess I'll wait for my dr. appt next week

RickMD :

I think that it is perfectly safe to do so. Have a good evening.

Customer:

you too