Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I have had 2 nose surgeries in past 10 years, last one about

I have had 2 nose surgeries in past 10 years, last one about 4 years ago. My sinuses today seem to be what's causing my headaches. Septum is deviated again, small retention cyst or polyp in the sphenoid sinuses, some mild mucus thickening both sides of maxillary sinuses and ethimoid sinuses. Impression from CT scan also reads chronic mild bilateral maxillary, ethmoid and sphenoid sinus inflammatory changes. I am tired of the headaches, but do NOT want my nose messed with again surgically. What can I do?

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

What have you tried so far?

RickMD :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

I look forward to your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have flonase, I have the combo caffenine, acetaphen and asprin for my headaches. The (2) nose surgerys were approx. 3 and 7 years ago. Deviated Septim fixed twice. There is a hole in upper right side. I have a cyst or pylp. I keep getting headaches about my eyes brows and sometimes the back of my head. When I bend down or look up for periods of time I will feel dizzy. My head CT was fine, but my sinus CT showed the above info. What other questions do you have?

Thank you for that extra information. I can understand your desire to avoid anymore surgery on your nose.

It sounds like you have been receiving good care from very qualified physicians without any significant lasting improvement in your condition. At this point I think the best thing you can do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

A consultation at one of these centers would give you the best chance of obtaining lasting relief without having to go under the knife again.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick