Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My husband is 74 years old, and we have been married for 15

My husband is 74 years old, and we have been married for 15 years. I cannot get him to go to the doctor. He has TERRIBLY swollen legs and feet, and at times his legs have even oozed. He is trying to lose weight (Atkins diet) and takes an OTC diuretic. I worry about his blood pressure and diabetes. He takes better care of our car than he does of his body. What can I do?

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

From what you have posted, there is really no home therapy that is going to help your husband.

RickMD :

He really needs to have a complete physical examination and workup by a doctor. Treating himself with an otc diuretic does not make sense to me.

Customer:

I certainly agree that he needs a complete checkup. I guess what you are saying is that there's no way I can get him to a doctor.

RickMD :

No. That is not what I meant to say.

Customer:

Then, what can I do?

RickMD :

You can call 911 and the police. They will come and load your husband, if it is clear that he needs medical help, and drag him -- even against his will -- to the closest ER.

RickMD :

Other than that you could gather friends and family together and have an "intervention" which is where the family and friends do the same thing that cops and paramedics would do......

RickMD :

But, if he is of sound mind a Judge will let him sit at home and die slowly as that is his right as a US citizen.

RickMD :

But at least you can get him to the ER once......

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

RickMD :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Customer:

Well, calling 911 is what I would do if there were a more serious emergency, and I have also considered the "intervention" idea. I'll give that further thought. Thanks for your suggestions.

RickMD :

My pleasure. I wish you and your husband the very best.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick