Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I have a bruised ulnar which has give me a ulnar claw how long

Customer Question

I have a bruised ulnar which has give me a ulnar claw how long does this take to repair and can I still do activitys like judo
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

How long ago did you bruise your ulnar nerve? What happened to hurt the nerve?

Customer:

I have a numb little finger and index finger thonk I have bruised my ulnar and have a ulnar claw think my radious is also bruised if thats what its called how long will this take to repair and can I still do judo

RickMD :

That is a very good question and it depends on the extent of the bruising, if the nerve is still being damaged by pressure, compression, loss of blood supply etc.

Customer:

not sure how I bruised it

Customer:

think I fel over or banged it somehow

RickMD :

As far as still doing Judo, as a second degree black belt in Akido I can say from experience that you should not do any judo practice until this issue has resolved.

RickMD :

How long have you been experiencing symptoms?

Customer:

about 4 weeks now

RickMD :

That is a very long time. If you have not seen a MD at this point, you really need to. Symptoms that last as long as yours have make me believe that there is ongoing compromise to the nerve. Left untreated you could end up with permanent loss of function.

Customer:

is there anything i should be doing

RickMD :

At the very least, you may benefit from a localized steroid injection to decrease swelling and inflammation in the area of the compromised nerve.

RickMD :

A month out? There really is nothing that you can do at home, in my opinion, that is going to be adequate. Time to seek professional care.

Customer:

ok thanks very much

RickMD :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer:

do you think the nerve will repair

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC