Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

What causes my lmph nodes behind my ears. To swell when taking

Customer Question

What causes my lmph nodes behind my ears. To swell when taking herbal or prescription medicine. Other symptoms are a lot of mucous, extra tiredness and feeling like I. Am a rag doll. I also have had experiences in which when I am exposed to higher levels of chemicals such as paint I pass out and have rapid, heavy breathing
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shahzad MD replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

hi there

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Thank you for your question

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do these lymph nodes swell up when taking certain kind of herbal or prescription medications or swell up to any medicine?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you still have a lot of mucous or tiredness?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you have any other medical conditions?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you currently on any medications for anything?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Can you please let me know the kind of tests that you have had for this?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Customer:

to date the only prescription medicine I have taken in which I have not had swelling in my lymph nodes is ondansetron. I do have the swelling in the lymph nodes when taking antibiotics. I have had the swelling with all herbal and homapathic and naturopathic medicines.

Customer:

the only prescription medicine I have taken in which i did not have the swelling in the lymph nodes is ondansetron which was prescribed to me about two weeks ago. I do have the swelling with prescription antibiotics and sleeping pills. My acupuncture doctor has tried giving me various chinese herbs of which I had severe reactions to them all - sleeping all day, heavy white mucous, headaches, no energy. this has been over the last 6 weeks. 4 years ago when seeing my nautropath doctor the same symptoms occurred when taking various herbs and homopathic medicines.

Customer:

the only prescription medicine I have taken in which i did not have the swelling in the lymph nodes is ondansetron, which was prescribed to me about two weeks ago. I do have the swelling with prescription antibiotics and sleeping pills. My acupuncture doctor has tried giving me various Chinese herbs of which I had severe reactions to them all - sleeping all day, heavy white mucous, headaches, no energy. This has been over the last 6 weeks. 4 years ago when seeing my Naturopath doctor, the same symptoms occurred when prescriptions naturopathic and homeopathic medicines. I do okay with supplements and vitamins.

I have high lead and mercury levels of which I do chelation but have stopped them for about 4 months in that I am getting the same reaction as above – no energy, can only sleep, mucous, headaches. My environmental allergist has tested me for ethanol and I am highly allergic to it and chemicals. If exposed to a high level of any type of chemical such as paint, fertilizer, etc I pass out. For food allergies, I stay away from dairy, butter. Recent tests by both my allergist and general practitioner indicate my liver is okay but my Acupuncturist focus on my liver in treatments. I pass all “normal” tests with flying colors.

I cannot sleep and have tired many different avenues over the last 4 years. I do have a prescription for temazepan (15 milligrams) (sleeping pills) which I hate taking but is the only way I can fall asleep and get more then 2 -3 hrs of sleep. I take one per night to sleep. I am hoping via the acupuncturist treatments to in the near term not ever have to use the prescription.

My environmental allergist has tested me for all the allergies – no allergies to mold, grass, trees, dogs, etc. However positive for chemicals and ethanol. Beyond the yearly tests, I haven’t done anything other tests.

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 2 years ago.
You are probably having a drug reaction to most of the herbal or prescription medication,which may be the cause of the post auricular lymphadenitis. Any allergy is bound to cause inflammation which in turn can cause swelling of the lymph nodes. The post auricular lymph nodes drain the temporal scalp,external auditory meatus,posterior part of the ear and pinna.Any localised skin infection or rash of the scalp/ear/ear canal will also lead to the swelling of the lymph nodes behind the ear.Allergic inflammation will cause fatigue,lots of mucus production from the sinuses and bronchial tree ,rarely bronchospasm leading to heavy breathing and other problems are also associated with allergy.It would be prudent to consult a ENT specialist or a Immunologist for the post auricular lympnhadenitis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

your answer was my assessment also. but you gave me the answer I was looking for - what the medical terminology is and the name of the specialist to go to. many thanks for your help.

Thank you for your kind comments.please rate my answer positively as good or excellent to release my dues.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience