Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years of experience.

Can trazodone show positive for benzodiazepines on a urine

Can trazodone show positive for benzodiazepines on a urine drug test?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.

Hi and welcome to the site. My name isXXXXX hope I can provide helpful medical information for you today.

Trazodone will not show up as a false positive on a drug screen for benzodiazepams. Trazodone isn't a controlled substance so it isn't tested for separately in drug screening.

It can however cause false positives for Ecstasy on initial screening. If this happens, a more specific test is always done to confirm the positive. In that second more specific testing, the Trazodone will be identified and the screening declared negative for controlled substances. Here is a link to information about this potential false positive:

Trazodone is in a class of drugs considered anti-depressants. There is no regulation against using this medication freely.

So no worries with regards XXXXX XXXXX medication.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I realize trazodone is not tested for...but could it show as a benzo...I have heard of instances when it does...

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.

I see you were expecting more. Hopefully you'll feel like I've provided better service once I've provided more detail.

Any false positive for any substance that Trazadone causes on the initial screen will have to be confirmed with a substance-specific liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry tests. On that follow-up test, the substance will show up as Trazodone specifically.

I haven't been able to find any research or case reports of false positives for benzodiazepams with trazodone although there are some "stories" on the internet:

Here is a reliable complete guide to drug testing:

When looking for reliable sources, it's important to look for government, academic and laboratory sources. Please reply if I can clarify anything further. I'd like to be sure you have the most helpful information possible.