Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am experiencing a bitter taste , my saliva is bitter also,

I am experiencing a bitter taste , my saliva is bitter also, i cant get rid of it no matter what i eat withing few seconds my mouth is fully bitter.
I keep brushing my teeth and chewing gum that is the only way to get rid of the bitter taste even if it's only for few minutes .
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Urinary tract infections, in and of themselves, would not be expected to cause bitter taste in your mouth.

RickMD :

How long has this been going on for?

RickMD :

Do you take any medications, vitamins etc?

RickMD :

Do you have any medical problems?

Customer:

for a couple of months now.

Customer:

i have reumatoid -arthrites and strogen syndrum

RickMD :

This condition is called dysgeusia and can be from a large number of causes. Many medications can also cause this taste change.

Customer:

and i take iron pills for a long time now

RickMD :

One common cause is acid reflux. If this has not been tested for, it should be.

The iron pills are OK

RickMD :

Pregnancy can also cause taste changes, but you would have mentioned that :)

Customer:

yes , i used to have problems with acid reflux but it has been awhile since i experienced it again!

RickMD :

The first place to start in your work up should be with a DDS and teeth, gum, tongue, salivation can cause a bitter taste.

RickMD :

you may be having just a enough reflux right now to cause the taste changes but not a lot of other symptoms.....I suggest you have you doctor check into this again.

RickMD :

Sometimes even sinus issues can cause a weird taste in your mouth.....

RickMD :

So. What is the take home message here? You are not nuts :-) And you do not have to keep suffering with this. See your DDS and you MD and have them give you a good going over. I bet this can be fixed.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

for couple of days now my new syn tomes are tinglings on my lower jaw,

RickMD :

Hmmm.....that would make me think that you issue may be more related to something in your oral cavity.

RickMD :

But, in any event, a through workup should be able to get to the bottom of your issue and set things straight.

Customer:

my mother passed away from throat cancer 4 years ago and i remember like today her telling me that she was experiencing pretty much same syntomes i am experiencint today!

RickMD :

Also, you should brush your tongue -- this might help too.

Customer:

this makes me woried!

RickMD :

Don't jump to throat cancer. That is on the list, but it is rare. Just because your mom got it doesn't mean you do.....

Customer:

i do brush my tongue always , every time i brush my teeth.

RickMD :

Ok. I didn't know if you were aware of that fact.

Customer:

i know trust me i try tu push that thought away as much as i could but every time i get the new syn tomes and they are the same as the one she experinced than i can help but think this is same thing!

RickMD :

I can understand that, but you are jumping the gun here........Cancer didn't even enter my mind until you brought it up....so I would not worry about that being what is going on.

RickMD :

Also, if you smoke, this can cause different tastes in your mouth so, of course, stop. Easier said than done, I know....

Customer:

i do not smoke now , i quit long time ago but i grew up in Europe when smoking was big part of my life, my dad smoked like a chimney. So, yes, for the 27 years of my life smoking was part of my life .

RickMD :

Glad to hear that you have quit. So. That is not what is causing your bitter taste. See. We are already making progress :)

Customer:

to better explain the exact feeling about the bitter taste is like,, chuwing tobbako '' after taste ,even though i never did chew tobbaco but when u smoke u kind of know how that taste also if this makes any sence.

RickMD :

Yes. That makes sense. I would bet, given your history, that you are experiencing a recurrence of your reflux (GERD).

RickMD :

So. What is the take home message here? I suggest you see a dentist for a full exam. Tell her that you are there due to the bitter taste in your mouth so she can do a directed exam.

RickMD :

If that turns out normal, then I suggest you go to your GP and tell her the same thing.

RickMD :

I am confident that you can be helped and this constant bitter taste you are having to put up with fixed.

RickMD :

Customer:

what does GP means, do not forget i am Europien , i do not understand the short forms, well some of them i should say.

RickMD :

GP is a general practitioner, such as family practice MD or a internal medicine MD

Customer:

oh, ok

RickMD :

My pleasure. Have a good day. :)

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer:

you to Dr.Rick

RickMD :

:)

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr.Rick I am sorry but i do have to ask you something , please bear with me for a little bit longer.

When i was 5 years of age i fell in this hole that was filled with water and this other stuff that people back at home used it to build houses i was told that i drank quite a bit of that water, well since then i have become very sensitive , i would get sick usually with a high fever very often more often than an average kid should get sick so my mom would take me to see a doctors which i started to dislike that very much since first thing they did prescribe me with 5 or 6 penicillin injections, very europien way they still do it to this day, so the first couple of the injections i would take and then once i got better my mom would stop taking me there since it was quite far to walk and we did not own a vehicle So,Dr.Rick do you think this has anything to do with my bitter taste, i just would like to clarify this very much.

That is a very good question.

Given all the usual issues that can lead to a bitter taste in your mouth I would say that one of those problems are much more likely to be the cause of your symptoms.

There really is no reason to believe that your experience with drinking the foul water at age five would lead to you having this bitter taste in your mouth at this age.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC