Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

what causes the large bowel movement that my 14yo son has,

what causes the large bowel movement that my 14yo son has, they clog the toilet and have to be cut up in order to not clog it. this has been going on for several years.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Does he have any pain or difficulty with his BMs?

Customer:

yes, he says it hurts some and it is hard

RickMD :

This is actually fairly common in children

Customer:

is it something I should be concerned about or will he outgrow it

RickMD :

This is due to a number of factors. One issue that causes large, hard stools like this is a decrease in transit time through the intestines and not going daily.

RickMD :

This is really nothing to worry about but I think that there are some things you can do to help him have smaller stools.

RickMD :

Encourage him not to hold his stools. This can happen in children as they don't want to take time out from their other activities to poop. See if he can start reading while relaxing on the toilet.

RickMD :

Also, increase his water and fiber intake. He should drink at least 8 8oz glasses of liquid/day or morel.

RickMD :

more.

RickMD :

Also, he should eat a lot of fruits, veggies and foods that help with maintaining a healthy gut flora, such as yogert.

Customer:

you are right there he doesn't like to leave his xbox, he does drink alot, but hates veggies and most fruit, he likes yogurt

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

RickMD :

Set up the xbox in the bathroom lol! (After 5 kids myself, I know what you are going through)

Customer:

yes it does, I can now tell him the Dr. said to eat vegge and fruit. thank you very much, 5 kids myself lol

RickMD :

You could use that soluble fiber, it is kinda orange flavored

RickMD :

They make it all worthwhile, eh?

Customer:

yes I can do that, Yes they do!!

RickMD :

Have a good day.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer:

thank you and same to you

RickMD :

My pleasure.