Dr Mask
Dr Mask, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS with 06 years Clinical Exposure in Surgery & Internal Medicine
27212923

over the counter drugs to help with the DTs

Customer Question

over the counter drugs to help with the DT's
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Mask replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer

The two medications used for DT (a consequence of alcohol withdrawal) are from the benzodiazepine group and avitamin thiamine.

Other medication that may help are alpha and beta blockers to combat the over activation of the sympathetic system.

There can be still others to treat the patient symptomatically however since the diagnosis of DT has to be made being very carefully and not confusing it with other possible causes with similar symptoms and the fact that the almost all medications used are not safe to be available over the counter there by there are none available over the counter.

So if you think that you are having any of the symptoms likely for DT it would be best to immediately seek medical help as DT can prove to be life threatening.

Hope This Helped

Please Do Remember to click on Positive Rating (Preferably number 5 Please) If you need further clarification please Do Let me know

Regards
Dr MASK
Dr Mask, Doctor
Experience: MBBS with 06 years Clinical Exposure in Surgery & Internal Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so you are saying that there is nothing over the counter that will help.....there is no doubt about the DT's........sweats, shakes, can't sleep, confusion, etc.

Expert:  Dr Mask replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the follow up question

Yes I am afraid that there are no options for the symptoms of DT except for antipyretics (drugs used to bring down fever which can be a symptom among various of DT) like ibuprofen or tylenol.

Please go through this link and you would understand that almost all drugs are prescription ones.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/166032-treatment

Besides that even if you could get a hand on the prescription ones it would never be a good idea to try and treat this issue with a doctors supervision and hospital care.

Hope This Helped

Regards
Dr MASK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

know that I need keep hydrated with things like "gatorade" etc......anything else that I can use to get through this............it's terrible......

Expert:  Dr Mask replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the follow up

Yes Hydration is an important step towards treating for it and it would have been easy for me to tell you of an over the counter re-hydration drink like gatorade and antipyretic like tylenol however please try to understand that the management for this condition is unfortunately not simple and most definitely requires a doctor.

I am sorry for the difficult situation that you are facing but considering the serious possible consequences for this situation its highly recommended not to try and treat it at home.

So if an ER is a difficult option then at least visit any doctor (be it a GP) near you to physically examine and evaluate you.

Hope This Helped

Regards
Dr MASK