Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

does SAW PALMETTO interfere with INR rating (with blood c

does SAW PALMETTO interfere with INR rating (with blood closing)
I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

Are you taking Coumadin as a blood thinner?

Hi. Are you there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes

Ok. Thank you for that information.

Saw Palmetto has been shown to interfere with coumadin and other medications that affect blood clotting by causing additional effects in preventing the blood from clotting.

What I am saying is that,in some cases, saw palmetto may make your more prone to bleeding while you are on coumadin. While this effect is well documented, it is not clear if the INR reading would be elevated (it would NOT cause it to be decreased, like your are experiencing) since it may cause "thinning" of the blood via a different mechanism.

So. What is the take home message here? Saw Palmetto will not cause your INR value to be lower. But' it may increase your risk of bleeding while you are on coumadin.

As such make sure to discuss this your plans to take saw palmetto with your doctor before taking it.

Better safe then sorry when it comes to your health :-)

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick