Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Can excessive metal ions released into blood from metal on

Can excessive metal ions released into blood from metal on metal hip replacement cause leg vibrations or hashimotos disease?
I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

What do you mean by leg vibrations? Is this like a twitching of muscles that you can see or is more of a feeling?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. It's like a cell phone vibrating for 5 seconds w a 4-5 second break. It runs from my non surgical leg hip to knee no matter what I do
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you there and did you receive my response re cobalt and chromium levels?,No. It's like a cell phone vibrating for 5 seconds w a 4-5 second break. It runs from my non surgical leg hip to knee no matter what I do
Do you have the DePuy artificial hip?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No smith and nephew
I'm here...there seems to be a delay in the internet at the moment....please allow for this in our conversation.
While this implant has had problems they have not been associated with metal ions being shed into the body.

Can you tell me how and why you had the blood levels of cobalt and chromium done?

Was this ordered by your doctor?

Specifically, were you given anything or did you any sort of treatment before the test was done?
Thanks for the positive rating and the bonus....but I still think we should continue our discussion as I believe there is more to talk about concerning your question.

I am here if you would like to continue...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You never gave an answer
I know...that is why I'm still here :)

Did you see my request for more information on your blood test?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Already responded that orthopod requested it
Sorry about response must have been eaten by the computer :(

While it is possible that the metallic ions have been contributing to your symptoms the only treatment available would be chelation therapy.

Are you planning on having your artificial hip replaced?

Also, you will find that Lawyers are the ones who are "finding" the relationship between these metal ions and physical problems...the medical literature does not have much data on this topic at this time.

Does this make sense to you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is chelation therapy and yes he wants to do a total revision replacement
Sounds like you are in the hands of an honest and very good orthopedic surgeon.

Chelation therapy is where a drug is either injected into a muscle, taken orally or -- the most common way -- given by IV infusion that binds to the metal. This drug/metal ion complex is then excreted by your body.

Currently the FDA is not recommending this therapy in cases like yours but some doctors are offering it.

Like anything else, it is not without risks: It can damage your bone marrow, kidneys, heart, cause a drop in blood pressure, nausea, vomiting headache and, in some cases, even death.

Since the benefits of chelation therapy not known and the risks are very substantial most patients elect not to risk it.

I think your plan of removing the hip is a good one and I don't believe more extensive therapy is worth the risk. But, of course, this a decision only you can make.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you doc for a very thorough answer. Well wishes to you!!
My pleasure.

Sorry about the issues with the chat system :(

I appreciate your understanding. Best of luck in your upcoming hip replacement (of the replacement) surgery.....