Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am 36 years old and I got my period last Thursday, Nov. 2.

I am 36 years old and I got my period last Thursday, Nov. 2. and on that night, I wore a bra to bed, ever since then, I've had an indentation around the outside of my breast (that is visible) The vain is visible and it feels hard, llike a hard long string. Would this be something to worry about, like breast cancer?

Last year in 2011, I had a small lump, the size of a pea. My doctor sent me for a mammo and ultrasound and it came back fine, just a water filled cyst. I always get them before my period and it hurts (it reminds me of the way my boobs felt when I was pregnant). This year when I went, she didn't feel anything and didn't think it was necessary to send me for a mammogram. The reason I shared this, was because both issues have been in my right breast.

Should I be concerned about the indentation? I have anxiety issues and I am a nervous wreck that it's cancer..

Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

First off all, I do not believe that this is a sign of breast cancer. You can rest easy on this issue.

RickMD :

It sounds like wearing your bra to bed caused irritation to a superficial vein which then formed a clot. These things happen at times.

RickMD :

As long as you are otherwise healthy and having no other symptoms there is nothing to worry about.

RickMD :

At this point you should use hot compresses to that area to speed healing.

RickMD :

If things don't show some improvement by Monday, I would give your doctor a call and see if she feels you should be seen.

RickMD :

So. What it the take home message here? This is not a sign of breast cancer. You are going to be fine.

RickMD :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

Yes, but I have one more question

RickMD :

ok

Customer:

Are you just an eye doctor or do you have experience in other fields?

RickMD :

I am an eye surgeon and also have training in internal medicine

RickMD :

And my wife has had lots of cysts, lumps and breast issues...

Customer:

Okay. So, should I just leave the area alone or put warm compresses on it... Oh okay..yes, since I was 22 my gyn has said I have fibrocystic breasts..but I suffer from severe anxiety and depression, which gets bad when things happen

RickMD :

I would put warm compresses on it. I think what you are experiencing is the physical issues above and this has triggered your anxiety....this is perfectly understandable.

RickMD :

I hope I've helped you to feel better :)

Customer:

yes thank you

RickMD :

My pleasure

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.