Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am 36 years old and I got my period last Thursday, Nov. 2.

I am 36 years old and I got my period last Thursday, Nov. 2. and on that night, I wore a bra to bed, ever since then, I've had an indentation around the outside of my breast (that is visible) The vain is visible and it feels hard, llike a hard long string. Would this be something to worry about, like breast cancer?

Last year in 2011, I had a small lump, the size of a pea. My doctor sent me for a mammo and ultrasound and it came back fine, just a water filled cyst. I always get them before my period and it hurts (it reminds me of the way my boobs felt when I was pregnant). This year when I went, she didn't feel anything and didn't think it was necessary to send me for a mammogram. The reason I shared this, was because both issues have been in my right breast.

Should I be concerned about the indentation? I have anxiety issues and I am a nervous wreck that it's cancer..

Thanks

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

First off all, I do not believe that this is a sign of breast cancer. You can rest easy on this issue.

RickMD :

It sounds like wearing your bra to bed caused irritation to a superficial vein which then formed a clot. These things happen at times.

RickMD :

As long as you are otherwise healthy and having no other symptoms there is nothing to worry about.

RickMD :

At this point you should use hot compresses to that area to speed healing.

RickMD :

If things don't show some improvement by Monday, I would give your doctor a call and see if she feels you should be seen.

RickMD :

So. What it the take home message here? This is not a sign of breast cancer. You are going to be fine.

RickMD :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

Yes, but I have one more question

RickMD :

ok

Customer:

Are you just an eye doctor or do you have experience in other fields?

RickMD :

I am an eye surgeon and also have training in internal medicine

RickMD :

And my wife has had lots of cysts, lumps and breast issues...

Customer:

Okay. So, should I just leave the area alone or put warm compresses on it... Oh okay..yes, since I was 22 my gyn has said I have fibrocystic breasts..but I suffer from severe anxiety and depression, which gets bad when things happen

RickMD :

I would put warm compresses on it. I think what you are experiencing is the physical issues above and this has triggered your anxiety....this is perfectly understandable.

RickMD :

I hope I've helped you to feel better :)

Customer:

yes thank you

RickMD :

My pleasure

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick