Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My Daughter has Lyme and is at a dead end. what or whom can

My Daughter has Lyme and is at a dead end. what or whom can she see to help her
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

I have had lymes twice myself so I know a little bit about what she is going through.

RickMD :

How long has it been since this all started?

Customer:

Well almost a year now.

RickMD :

are you looking for another opinion and possibly different treatment options?

Customer:

They told her that it will get worse before it gets better, but how worse should it get?

RickMD :

It can attack her heart

Customer:

Yes she was going to see another doctor soon I hope.

Customer:

Should she have her heart checked now?

RickMD :

There research treatment protocols going on at the NIH

RickMD :

I am sure that her doctors have checked her EKG after all she has been through.

RickMD :

She is obviously suffering from the neurological complications of second stage lymes infection.

Customer:

Well I hope so. I will double check, we live in NY and do not really have the means to travel at this point, is there a chance that perhaps she will get better and we are worring way to much.

Customer:

Well they did a upper and lower EMG I thought that was or would have showed that she was ok. they said it came back fine

RickMD :

As a father of 5 children myself I do not believe it is possible to worry too much about your kids

Customer:

Thank you!

RickMD :

That is good. The month of IV antibiotics should have cleared her of any infection. Now it is just a matter of giving her body a chance to recover and stop fighting itself.

RickMD :

My pleasure. I'm glad I could help.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer:

IS there something we should be asking when we go to the doctor again

Customer:

so should she worry about still feeling pain and blurd vision and how long should we wait and see if the antibiotics helped

RickMD :

I would keep a notebook of her symptoms along with a note if they are getting better or worse. This will help the doctors know how things are going

Customer:

So we should continue with the same doctor? she did get very good ratings? what should I ask, we are going again on the 27th

RickMD :

The symptoms can remain for up to 6 months, sometimes more, after successful antibiotic therapy. And, unfortunately, some patients don't fully recover. :(

RickMD :

If you are comfortable with this doctor and, as you say, she has good ratings then I would not switch horses in the middle of the stream.....

Customer:

ok Well I will try to keep her calm, I thank you for your help is there anything else you can add that I should know. or she should know.

RickMD :

You should know that psychiatric problem can manifest from this so, if anything crops up, before letting the doctors send her off to a psychiatrist, make sure they fully consider lymes as the issue.

Customer:

Ok will do thank you very much

RickMD :

And, if you want to go to the "Guru" of Neurological Lymes disease, that would be Dr. Fallon at Columbia University in NYC.

RickMD :

Hopefully you will not need his advice.....

RickMD :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.