Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My Daughter has Lyme and is at a dead end. what or whom can

My Daughter has Lyme and is at a dead end. what or whom can she see to help her

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

I have had lymes twice myself so I know a little bit about what she is going through.

RickMD :

How long has it been since this all started?

Customer:

Well almost a year now.

RickMD :

are you looking for another opinion and possibly different treatment options?

Customer:

They told her that it will get worse before it gets better, but how worse should it get?

RickMD :

It can attack her heart

Customer:

Yes she was going to see another doctor soon I hope.

Customer:

Should she have her heart checked now?

RickMD :

There research treatment protocols going on at the NIH

RickMD :

I am sure that her doctors have checked her EKG after all she has been through.

RickMD :

She is obviously suffering from the neurological complications of second stage lymes infection.

Customer:

Well I hope so. I will double check, we live in NY and do not really have the means to travel at this point, is there a chance that perhaps she will get better and we are worring way to much.

Customer:

Well they did a upper and lower EMG I thought that was or would have showed that she was ok. they said it came back fine

RickMD :

As a father of 5 children myself I do not believe it is possible to worry too much about your kids

Customer:

Thank you!

RickMD :

That is good. The month of IV antibiotics should have cleared her of any infection. Now it is just a matter of giving her body a chance to recover and stop fighting itself.

RickMD :

My pleasure. I'm glad I could help.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer:

IS there something we should be asking when we go to the doctor again

Customer:

so should she worry about still feeling pain and blurd vision and how long should we wait and see if the antibiotics helped

RickMD :

I would keep a notebook of her symptoms along with a note if they are getting better or worse. This will help the doctors know how things are going

Customer:

So we should continue with the same doctor? she did get very good ratings? what should I ask, we are going again on the 27th

RickMD :

The symptoms can remain for up to 6 months, sometimes more, after successful antibiotic therapy. And, unfortunately, some patients don't fully recover. :(

RickMD :

If you are comfortable with this doctor and, as you say, she has good ratings then I would not switch horses in the middle of the stream.....

Customer:

ok Well I will try to keep her calm, I thank you for your help is there anything else you can add that I should know. or she should know.

RickMD :

You should know that psychiatric problem can manifest from this so, if anything crops up, before letting the doctors send her off to a psychiatrist, make sure they fully consider lymes as the issue.

Customer:

Ok will do thank you very much

RickMD :

And, if you want to go to the "Guru" of Neurological Lymes disease, that would be Dr. Fallon at Columbia University in NYC.

RickMD :

Hopefully you will not need his advice.....

RickMD :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.