Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

My husband has a small, pin size area on the back of his shoulder.

My husband has a small, pin size area on the back of his shoulder. He gets copious amounts of white, thick drainage from the site. The drainage has a fowl odor. These symptoms have lasted 3 weeks. Can you please tell what this sounds like to you?
Thank you,
I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

It sounds like a epidermoid cyst that has ruptured. If it has a foul odor it may have become infected although it usually has more of a yellowish color when infected. A white, cheesy material is the normal contents of this type of growth.

It is not a cancer but since it has ruptured and also has a foul odor, you should consult with your doctor. She will probably do a simple total excision as they have a tendency to come back if they are just incised and drained.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick