Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Im a 72 year old female. For 17 years Ive been on medications

I'm a 72 year old female. For 17 years I've been on medications for high blood pressure, high cholestrol and Type 2 Diabetes, probably due to being overweight. I've weighed up to 258. For the past 10 years my weight has been between 220-230. I'm 5'7", medium built. I last saw my doctor Sept. 12, at which time I weighed 219, since then I've lost 14 lbs, because I'm seriously dieting. This is my question: I'm hoping to go off, or at least reduce some of the medications. I see my doctor every 6 months for blood work and to have prescriptions renewed. Now that I'm losing weight should I see her more often? Supposing due to my weight loss and the possibility that that is correcting the medical issues is it dangerous to be taking medications I may not need? I know to NOT stop or make any changes in my medications without consultion my doctor.
I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

Congratulations on your weight loss. From personal experience I know just how difficult that can be.

What medications are your currently taking?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Norvasc 10mg 1x, Quinapril 40mg 1x, Lipitor 10mg, 1x, Fluoxetine 20mg 1x, Hydrochlorot 25 mg 1x, Metformin 500mg, 2x, Klor-con M20 TAB Apa 1x.

O-T-C: Calcium 1500 daily, 1 multi-vitamin, 2 Aleve 2x for arthritis

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

O-T-C:  Calcium 1500 daily, 1 multi-vitamin, 2 Aleve 2x for arthritis

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That's correct
Thank your for that information. I think it would be worthwhile for you to see your doctor when you have lost 20 pounds. This would give her a chance to see if any of the above medications can be reduced or discontinued.

If nothing needs to be changed on that visit, I would see her again after loosing an additional 15 pounds.

Of course, should you have any symptoms or concerns, you should see her sooner.

A few years ago I lost 45 lbs and started to notice I was dizzy at times...well, I was on multiple BP medications and my pressure was falling through the floor! You would think that as an MD I would have thought about that lol!

At least you are doing a much better job of being proactive :)

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Congratulations on your weight loss...it's kinda hard when you love food....huh? Having had a "southern" mother I was raised on fried chicken, biscuits n' gravy, overcooked vegetables slathered with butter or bacon grease. Had to give it all up :( Thank you.

My pleasure.

My problem is that my wife is an excellent cook.....and I'm an excellent eater lol!

Good luck on reaching your goals.