Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Is it ok to choose a Physician Assistant as a primary care

Is it ok to choose a Physician Assistant as a primary care doctor? Assuming they are certified. Or is it just better to choose a Doctor over the PA?

I have not been to a Dr. in ages, and want to get a Primary Care doctor.. and set up a routine examination. I will be 40 next year, and also need a prostate exam sometime in the near future. So not sure if that would make a difference in choosing.

Thank You

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

That is a very good question. PAs in most States practice under the supervision of a doctor and they give excellent care, especially for routine physical exams such as you are going to have.

RickMD :

I think, from what you posted, there is no problem with you seeing a PA over an MD.

Customer:

Ok, I just was not sure :) So many searches on the internet i can do, before i go crazy from overload of info.. and not quite the answers :)

RickMD :

I fully understand :) That is why JA is here.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

Yes, it does, so pretty much, at this point for my situation, just a matter of preference really I guess

RickMD :

That is correct. You should get quality care from a PA or an MD. Of course, a doctor has a lot more knowledge, training and experience......

Customer:

Indeed.. I thank you for your time and answers :) Much appreciated!

RickMD :

My pleasure.