Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have worked for the railroad for 25 yrs at least 10 of the

I have worked for the railroad for 25 yrs at least 10 of the yrs I worked in tunnels breathing diesel fumes from equipment working in the tunnels all day. now at 53 yrs old I had a heart attack and (ACS) could the yrs of exposure to burnt creosote and diesel fumes contribute to this Acute coronary syndrome.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 4 years ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medicine?

RickMD :

Do you smoke?

JACUSTOMER-rfiics5e- :

Take blood pressure medicene I don't smoke

RickMD :

Have you ever smoked?

JACUSTOMER-rfiics5e- :

No

RickMD :

That is very good.

RickMD :

Well, you ask a very good question. ACS is caused by many, many factors including your own biology (cholesterol level), stress, vascular anatomy, genetic makeup and -- yes -- environmental conditions.

RickMD :

If you were to keep all factors in your life the same, removing only your exposure to diesel fumes and burning creosote, most likely you would still have ACS. Would it happen at age 53, or 40, or 75? There is no way to know, and there is no medical research that exists to guide us on this issue.

JACUSTOMER-rfiics5e- :

My cholesterol was below what it should. I'm not over weight and a hard worker

RickMD :

So. What is the take home message? I do not believe that your long dedication to the railroad, working in the tunnels and being exposed to everything in there has damaged your body and, in and of itself, caused this heart attack.

RickMD :

Even people who are young athletes, in excellent physical condition, sometimes drop dead from a heart attack.......this is a very complex disease process that has tons and tons of varialbles.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

RickMD :

Are you still there?

JACUSTOMER-rfiics5e- :

ya

RickMD :

just wondering.....

JACUSTOMER-rfiics5e- :

thanks

RickMD :

My pleasure. I hope you feel better soon.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick