Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am taking methadone for pain after taking prescription morphine

I am taking methadone for pain after taking prescription morphine for over a decade. I have non-hodgkins lymphoma and degenerative disc disease. I also had my large intestine removed and spent several months in hospital in the past year. I have a hemangioma in the right parital lobe which used to cause grande mals. Now after years I have started having severe cramps which excacerbate my severe back pain. These cramps are caused by renewed bleeding (like a period) and I went through menopaulse almost over a decade ago when I was in my 30s. The pain is comparable to when I had an ectopic pregnancy. While I was in hospital I was urged to switch to methadone because morphine was not working anymore and one of the Doctors said they were running a risk of being reporteds for the amount of mophine they had prescribed to me . I am on 120 mg. due to the fact while I was recovering from the major surgery I deverloped a blockage and my kidneys failed during that time I was being prescribed over 800 mg of ms-long and 4 mg dilauided for breakthrough pain. I am in severe pain but as always in my life I only take what is prescribed. The methadone works quite well but only lasts for about 18 hours. After that the pain is so pronounced I have fainted and I sweat from head to foot and my eyes tear so badly I can hardly see. I know I have many medical problems but I really don't want to have to take the copius amounts of morphine the Doctors had to prescribed to manage the pain. Also I live far from the clinic and having to go in to the pharmacy daily is exhausting me. Basically can you give any advice on what to do? Is there any way I can have some sort of exemption allowing me to get my pain medication once a week as I do with my blister pack? Also I am able to have my dosage increased. Will this increase the length of time it will work? I was very athletic before I got sick and still try to get regular excercise by hiking with my dog so I do not want to take morphiine again until my cancer is not in remission and it is absolutely necessary because methadone enables me to think clearly. I live in B.C. and don't know what the college expects of the Docs. in respect to methadone. I know it is tightly controlled and I am a rare case at the clinic because I haven't used "street drugs" and only took what was prescribed. Please, can you help?

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Thank you for your very detailed history in your post. I am sorry to see that you have been suffering for so long.

RickMD :

What is it you would like me to do for you?

Customer:

I was wondering if you could tell me how long the methadone should last. I am currently in agont

RickMD :

What dosage are you taking?

Customer:

\i am currently in agony after 18 hours. I was on so much morphine for so long and wqou

Customer:

would really like to stay away from morphione for as long as possible. I would never take anythiing no t prescribed.

RickMD :

Are you having to travel to the pharmacy every day so that they can hand you your methadone and watch you take it/

RickMD :

?

Customer:

yes. but they are going to let me have "carries| for a couple of days a week. Thion

RickMD :

Methodone will last about 24 to 36 hours. But, as you might expect, this varies from person to person.

RickMD :

I'm glad you are going to be allowed to have carries. They must trust you.

RickMD :

But, from what you are saying, you need help with the 6 hours that you are having pain between dosing.

RickMD :

Is this correct?

Customer:

Mine only last `18 hours andd it seems as though 5 mg. also increases the length of time by about 50 minutes. \\I initially got 10 mg of morph. as breakthrougfh every 3 hours but I really want to stay away from it. Is an increase in meth. the only way? Also my pharamacist said they have patchesa bvut do not want to use it until I am on a stable dose. I think they do trust me. I never test otherwise. Thanks for the info. I will see about increasing the methadone this week. Thanks so much..

RickMD :

What dosage

RickMD :

What dosage are you taking now?

RickMD :

Ok. I just got your post.

Customer:

120 mg

RickMD :

I see you tried to give me positive feedback, but I had the button turned off. Could you please mash it again?

RickMD :

Well, you still have room to up the dose of metadone a little bit.

Customer:

sure....thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I sign up can I request your assistance

Yes. Just ask for me by name.