Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My daughter, Christina, was diagnosed with Central Alveolar

Customer Question

My daughter, Christina, was diagnosed with Central Alveolar Hypoventilation She is now 32 years old, but continues to breathe very shallowly during along with turning very pale. She needs an evaluation that would include CO2 monitoring during sleep. Do you know of any Dr. or Medical Center that can do this kind of evaluation?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today. I agree with Christina's doctors that an evaluation should be done sooner rather than later.

RickMD :

If you can tell me where Christina lives and how far she can travel for evaluation, I will be happy to assist you in finding a clinic that can help her.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today. I agree with Christina's doctors that an evaluation should be done sooner rather than later.
RickMD : If you can tell me where Christina lives and how far she can travel for evaluation, I will be happy to assist you in finding a clinic that can help her.

I look forward to your reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Christina (and her husband, daughter, & I) lives in Rock Valley, IA. This is a tiny town! We live close to the Minnesota and South Dakota borders. Christina's baby was born in Omaha, but the doctors there could not suggest anyone. I will take wherever we need to go-even if that means Chicago.

Google maps shows that Christina is only 245 miles away from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Mn. One of the top sleep centers in the entire USA is located there. Personally, this is where I would seek treatment if I or a family member required it.

Christina should gather up all her medical records, test results and see one of Mayo Clinics pulmonologists, who can set her up for a sleep study with CO2 monitoring.

Here is a link to the Pulmonary and Critical Care department at Mayo:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/pulmonary/

And here is a link to the sleep center:

http://www.sleepcenters.org/CentersInfo.aspx?Center_ID=174500

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted you to know I had no difficulty accessing the first site, but, despite multiple attempts, I still get the "Server not Found" responce. I have rechecked the site information multiple times, just in case I typed it wrong, which I haven't, but still no success. Any suggestions?

Hi.

I just copied the second URL and pasted it into a new page and it took me right to the sleep center page. Here is the link again, perhaps it did not print out well on your side for some reason. Like a Wise Man once said: "To Err is Human. To really mess up, you need a computer" :-)

Let me know if you still have problems.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Hi Shari,

I was just thinking about Christina and wondering if you were able to get her in at the Mayo Clinic for for a workup? I hope things are getting better and that your new Grandbaby is healthy and happy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did talk to the Mayo Clinic. They require a referral from Christina's local doctor, and then a referral from a Pulmonologist Mayo. We have an appointment with Christina to talk about the need for a referral this next Thursday. Thank you for your help! The sleep center at Mayo is capable of evaluating CO2 levels, but do not normally do that. Wish us luck! I will try to let you know what happens.

Hi Shari,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am glad to hear that Christina is on the right track to get the help she needs. Please give her my best and hug your new Grandbaby for me :) Our oldest daughter is due with our first Grandson in December. Can't wait to fill him up with sugar and send him home to Mama lol!

Thank you for letting me help. I was a pleasure.

I look forward to hearing from you in the future.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just want you to know that I have not been able to give you a tip because, right now, I am not able to financially. I hope to keep in touch, and, hopefully, next month I will have a little extra! Regrettably, I am one of the very unlucky people who had to go on permanent disability before I turned 60, all of my investments, well close to all, were in real estate. Like so many others, I lost my house to foreclosure less than 10 years after my husband died. Talk about downsizing! I now live in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment in public housing. I'm not complaining-if I was still working full time, I wouldn't have been able to stay with Christina for the month Megan was in the NICU! I've experienced much loss in my life (way too many deaths at a very young age, with little or no warning), BUT I have been able to see that even the worst experiences in life can be used for good in helping others! God Bless! I KNOW you will enjoy your grandchild!

(But, how in the world did we get OLD???)

Shari,

I am sorry to hear about all the difficulties you have been through lately but, as they say, "If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger"

And you are blessed with Megan, so life is good.

Don't give the Tip a second thought. :-)

As to how we got so old? I'm not really sure how that happened! lol!