Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

can putting a hanger in your mouth give you tetanus

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Did the hanger cut you?

RickMD :

Is it a metal hanger?

RickMD :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

no it dn't cut me

Customer:

yes it is metal

Customer:

are you there doctor

RickMD :

Sorry. I had to go see a patient

RickMD :

Just putting the hanger in your mouth, without out getting cut, will not give you tetanus.

RickMD :

You will be OK. There is nothing to worry about at this point.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

RickMD :

I guess you had to step away from your computer now :)

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what is the exact definition of lockjaw? is it jyst soreness when you chew or is it literally the jaw jocking? if i got a small bite on the hand and got a tetanus shot two weeks later and my jaw hurt when i chew is it already to late

Tetanus doesn't cause your jaw to "lock up" like it sounds. It can start with mild spasms in the jaw or even in your back, neck and abdomen.

As the disease progresses powerful spasms of many muscle groups causes the jaw, chest, back etc. These spasms are so strong that muscles actually tear themselves.

I am sure that sometime during your life you have had a tetanus shot. While they are said to only last 10 years, in many cases they last longer.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
No. From what you have described you are not having symptoms of lockjaw.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have a small pain in my back is that a bad sign even though i had the t two weeks later? is it possible that i am infected? how do i know positively that i am ok?

Tetanus does not cause a small pain in your back. It is a tearing, ripping, bend you in half pain......

From what you have posted, and since you had the vaccine, I would say that there is a 99.99978% chance you are ok and that you are not going to come down with lockjaw.

I would put this fear out of your thoughts. You are OK.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC