Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Hi there I am a dental nurse and yesterday at work I had an

Hi there I am a dental nurse and yesterday at work I had an incident which I'm slightly worried about. We had a patient in who had no specific hepatitis written on his medical history we took some xrays and I dint realise I had a hole in my glove so his saliva mite gone on my hand my only concern that I had a tiny cut which
Was not bleeding just red and worried saliva mite of gone into it? Am I just being stupid? I have had the hep b vaccine?

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

I do not believe you have anything to worry about from the exposure you have posted. This is especially true since you have been vaccinated.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer: Thank you I guess I was concerned because there are so many different types of hepatitis? So would hep b be the only one to worry about if I hadn't had the vaccine
RickMD :

Hepatitis B and D are the only hepatitis virus' that can be transmitted by saliva and, as you said, you have had the Hep B vaccination. That being said, saliva is not the primary way these agents are transmitted

Customer: So in other words I'll be ok
RickMD :

Hepatitis B and D,in theory, can be transmitted by saliva. Hepatitis A, C,E, F, G and TTV are not transmitted this way.

RickMD :

Yes. You will be just fine. In my opinion, you have nothing to worry about. :)

Customer: Thank u very much for ur time
RickMD :

My pleasure.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick