Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Can living at a higher altitude..4700 have an affect on ones

Can living at a higher altitude..4700 have an affect on one's blood pressure or general health?

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Generally speaking living at that elevation has not been linked to any specific health concerns.

RickMD :

I think you do not need to worry that living at that elevation has made your BP or any other health issues worse or more likely to occur.

Customer:

I've been living in Carson City NV for 2 years. spend my whole life in So Cal. Since here I have trouble sleeping, more BP issues and just feel like crap. When I return to So cal I feel fine and my BP lowers. Any other suggestions?

RickMD :

That is very interesting. How long after you return to So. Cal and lower elevations do you notice an improvement in you BP, sleep habits etc?

Customer:

Right away.

RickMD :

Ok. Well, that would rule out any minor increase you might experience in your RBC concentration at elevation as this would take time to reverse.

RickMD :

It may be related to a difference in your diet, your activity or even something in the environment of your home at elevation.

RickMD :

It is very unlikely, however, that this is related to just a difference in elevation.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

It's confusing because my cardiologist here suggested it. We've looked at everything, adjusted my med dosages and nothing sticks.

Customer:

I'll be in So Cal next week and plan on visiting my cardiologist there. I'll see what he has to say.

RickMD :

Could you obtain blood work at elevation and then repeat it in so cal?

Customer:

I can. Good idea!

RickMD :

My pleasure.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer:

Thanks for your help. Have a good day.

RickMD :

you too.