Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

my 71 year old brother had a stroke on the left side in March

my 71 year old brother had a stroke on the left side in March 2012 tonight he said his shoulder, arm and hand left side is stiff..I told him to take 2 aleve..no sweeling on ankles or legs..should I be concern? any suggestions? he said he feels fine just wanted to tell me..he left handed and the stroke was on the left side..he is on a blood thinner (can't spell name but its rat poison LOL has an appointment tomorrow in late morning

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

That is an excellent question. And it all depend on if he is having any other symptoms then just a feeling of his affected side being a bit more stiff today.

RickMD :

Of course, the safest thing to do, given his history, would be to make a trip to the ER where his blood can be tested and any signs of a new stroke can be ruled out.

RickMD :

The name of that rat poison, by the way, is coumadin :)

Customer:

that's the one..sorry I could not spell it

RickMD :

I am glad to hear, however, that he is already scheduled for a doctor visit in the morning. Make sure that he tells his doctor about this issue if he doesn't want to go to the ER.

Customer:

this is the first time that he waited 3 weeks to get his blood checked last time it was 2.7

RickMD :

Ok that is good. Usually we want an INR value between 2.0 and 3

Customer:

what do you think about the sign to stick out his tonque to see if its crooked..his speech is fine not slurring..on no he rather no go to ER

RickMD :

From what you have told me he probably will be OK to see his MD in the morning...and I don't blame him one bit for not wanting to go and sit in the ER waiting room for the next 3 hours :)

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

yes and Thank You I feel better

RickMD :

My pleasure. Have a good evening.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick