Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I have gone through a lot lately..hysterectomy 12 weeks ago

I have gone through a lot lately..hysterectomy 12 weeks ago which i am still bleeding .. sudden loss of my father after gall bladder surgery last week..divorce 2 years ago..single mom of a 15 year old boy..family fightings over death of my dad.. I am having lots of anxiety i get these tension headaches that seem to come over me quickly where they grip my head making it difficult to think clearly. I have been taking tylenol that helps me get my thinking back..what can i do to stop them??? My doc gave me some xanax but i am scared to take it bc of the addictive quality to it..but i feel when i get these attacks that i am going to lose it..my neck shoulder and head just tightens up and i feel like there is no blood getting to my brain. What should i do Is this normal with the amount of stress i have been under. Will counseling help..I am not a good medicine taker. I have always used exercise to release my stress but have not been able to exercise bc of hysterectomy. Wyll i have a nervous breakdown
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

Customer:

Thankyou

RickMD :

I'm sorry to hear about all things that you are having to deal with at this moment

RickMD :

First of all, there is no need to worry about taking the xanax as prescribed by your MD. When used as directed, especially during times of extreme stress like you are going through right now, it is very safe and effective.

RickMD :

The feelings you are having, the tension and the headaches can be easily explained by the high stress you are under right now. Take the xanax as directed, try to lay down in a quiet place, maybe read a good book or watch tv and just take a break from it all for a bit.

Customer:

is this normal to feel so stressed I also have a mvp which i have heard makes you more prone to anxiety

RickMD :

Three months out from your surgery you should be able to start exercising, maybe swimming a bit or going for a walk. This should help

Customer:

will it go away without taking meds..can i continue taking the tylenol

RickMD :

From what you have posted I do not think that your history of MVP is adding much to your anxiety or stress at this point.

RickMD :

Yes, you can take the tylenol as directed on the label. But the xanax will help and it is safe when used per your doctors orders

RickMD :

Counseling is also a good idea but will take time to work. Tomorrow you may want to make some calls and see if you can get in for a session in the next few days.

Customer:

will i be able to get off the xanax later..

Customer:

how much should i take

RickMD :

Yes, I do not think you will be able to. Millions of patients use xanax to decrease stress and anxiety without any problems at all.

RickMD :

What did your doctor say?

Customer:

will it cause more damage if i do not use it

RickMD :

no. It can't hurt you if you don't take it

Customer:

he told me to use the xanax as needed.

Customer:

but will the high stress do damage to me

RickMD :

Stress is not good for you in the long term but it won't damage you liver, heart etc if that is what you mean.

RickMD :

.25 mg 3x/day is the starting dose for xanax. This can be increased slowly if needed up to a max of 4 mg/day in divided doses. The lowest effective dose should be used.

RickMD :

I would follow the instructions on the label as to how much xanax you should take.

Customer:

thanks any other solutions to reduce the stress..natural approach? My pulse has also stayed high around 105..is that harmful

RickMD :

No. A pulse rate like that is not, in and of itself, harmful. Just do what you can to relax. Go out for a walk since exercise has been helpful for you in the past and don't be afraid to try the xanax.

RickMD :

As far as natural compounds, passionflower, valerian and kava can be helpful

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

you have been so kind thank you sooo much!!!

RickMD :

My pleasure. I hope you feel better soon.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.