Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

What is the difference between Amoxicillin 500 Mg and AMox

What is the difference between Amoxicillin 500 Mg and AMox tr-k clv 500-125 mg? Is one stronger? Thanks.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

The amoxicillin 500 contains only one medication, the amoxicillin, in a strength of 500 mg in every tablet.

RickMD :

The Amox tr K clv is a combination of 500 mg of amoxicillin (exactly as in the other pill you mentioned) along with 125 mg of clavulanic acid.

RickMD :

Clavulanic acid does not kill bacteria like the amoxicillin does but, rather, it makes the amoxicillin work better against certain types of bacteria (beta lactamase producing). In other words it makes amoxicillin work better against some bacteria that might otherwise be resistant.

RickMD :

So. What is the take home message here? Both medications contain the same "strength" of the active ingredient (amoxicillin) but the Amox tr K clv, has a compound in it to extent the number and types of bacteria that can be killed by amoxicillin.

RickMD :

As long as the bacteria that you are trying to treat do not secrete beta lactimase, both drugs will work essentially the same.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : The amoxicillin 500 contains only one medication, the amoxicillin, in a strength of 500 mg in every tablet.
RickMD : The Amox tr K clv is a combination of 500 mg of amoxicillin (exactly as in the other pill you mentioned) along with 125 mg of clavulanic acid.
RickMD : Clavulanic acid does not kill bacteria like the amoxicillin does but, rather, it makes the amoxicillin work better against certain types of bacteria (beta lactamase producing). In other words it makes amoxicillin work better against some bacteria that might otherwise be resistant.
RickMD : So. What is the take home message here? Both medications contain the same "strength" of the active ingredient (amoxicillin) but the Amox tr K clv, has a compound in it to extent the number and types of bacteria that can be killed by amoxicillin.
RickMD : As long as the bacteria that you are trying to treat do not secrete beta lactamase, both drugs will work essentially the same.
RickMD : Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick