Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Cause of occasional pain in left forearm (palm side about 1

Cause of occasional pain in left forearm (palm side about 1 inch above wrist and extending a couple of inches) when EXHALING a big breath but doesn't happen all of the time. 45 yrs old and overweight but no health issues and do annual physicals. Working to lose weight.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Do you have any other symptoms?

I look forward to your response so we can get to the bottom of what is causing the pain in your left wrist when you exhale.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have any medical issues. I only take a multi vitamin, fish oil and vitamin d
Ok. Well, the pain in your left wrist that is worse when you exhale is something that your doctor should look at. Why? There is a possibility that the pain you are feeling is related to heart problems.

It is common for problems with the heart to send pain down the left arm. Perhaps when you are exhaling there is an issue with coronary blood flow and secondary heart ischemia.

Now, this may not be what is going on, but when it comes to issues that might even remotely be a sign of heart a heart problem it is better to be safe than sorry.

Now. The next question. Should you go to the ER now? That, of course, would be the safest thing to do. That being said, from what you have posted and if you are not having any other symptoms you probably would be OK to wait until Monday AM to see your primary care MD.

Could this turn out to be nothing serious? Yes. Of course. But, in my opinion, you should not ignore this pain.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Will follow advice but follow up question... It doesn't follow my arm all of the way down but rather is just is that one small area of forearm. Is that a better sign or doesn't mean anything?
That is not a better or a worse sign as cardiac pain can present anywhere on the left arm.

What is a better sign, however, is that you don't seem to have any other symptoms.

Hopefully we are worrying for no reason and everything will turn out fine.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don't have any other symptoms nd even went for a long walk this morning. It sounds like it is probably related to heart though given it happens occasionally when exhaling - but what are other options that it could be if it isn't heart? Or is this really the only front runner option?
No. That is not the only issue it could be....only the most serious, which makes it necessary to have it checked out.

It could be irritation of your diaphragm, although this usually causes shoulder pain (you may have had this happen when you sneeze really hard).

It could also just be wrist pain and not really causally related to your breathing.

But, once the possibility of heart issues is considered, every other cause becomes secondary as an evaluation is needed.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC