Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have always been extremely intolerant to heat (60 degrees

I have always been extremely intolerant to heat (60 degrees or more) and actually fainted a few times as a child from summertime heat) I was born during a blizzard in Dec 1956 and at 6 weeks old broke out in prickly heat rash from normal in-home temp. I excessively sweat and always have when I feel too warm, which is often. I have had my thyroid checked and they say all is normal levels. Menopause has been the last straw for me as I am miserable upon any physical activity. I have a Mirena IUD to control menopause excess bleeding which worked very well and eased some of the night sweats but I am still very uncomfortable and always need a fan near me (it is very embarrassing and can be difficult for people around me as well). I have tried all the natural remedies for Hot Flashes but none controlled the heat inside me that has been a lifetime burden and causes me to not want to do anything physical (even as a small child). So many doctors over the years cannot figure this out. any suggestions? Ellen

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Ellen,

RickMD :

I'm sorry to hear about all that you have been going through for so long. I can understand how adding menopause on top of things is enough to tip you over the edge.

RickMD :

Well, it sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

RickMD :

I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief. It seems obvious to me that your current doctors have reached the bottom of their bag of tricks and, yet, you are still having these problems.

RickMD :

Are you available to chat?

RickMD :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : Ellen,
RickMD : I'm sorry to hear about all that you have been going through for so long. I can understand how adding menopause on top of things is enough to tip you over the edge.
RickMD : Well, it sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?
RickMD : I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief. It seems obvious to me that your current doctors have reached the bottom of their bag of tricks and, yet, you are still having these problems.
RickMD : Are you available to chat?
RickMD : We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)
Sorry about the chat system freezing up. We can continue here.....

As I was saying, it sounds like you have been receiving good care from very qualified physicians without any significant lasting improvement in your condition. At this point I think the best thing you can do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick