Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have a friend who has Hep.C,cirrohis of liver,hypertension

Customer Question

I have a friend who has Hep.C,cirrohis of liver,hypertension and blockage of portal vein.Her biggest problem now is fliud retention in the abdominen. What can she do to lessen the fliud collecting. She have to go for a parasethesis every week.The volume taken off is 7to9 liters each week. thank you for answering.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Is she a candidate for a liver transplant?

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : Is she a candidate for a liver transplant?

Do you know if her liver problems are the only reason she is having such extreme ascites? I only ask because the number one way to treat ascites is by identifying and fixing the underlying cause.

I look forward to your reply.
OOps! You have given me positive feedback too fast......

I am still here. Let's continue working on your question.

I look forward to your response.
I have not heard back from you, but let me continue.

The first therapy for ascites is to limit salt intake and modify her diet with the assistance of a nutritionist. I can see from your post that she has already done this.

The next step is to add diuretics, such as lasix and aldactone. I would guess that she has already done this without success since she is already at the last available therapy before going to surgery: Frequent therapeutic abdominal paracentesis.

I have heard back from you concerning my requests for more information but at this point, it seems that her only option is placement of a shunt (transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt) or a liver transplant.

I do not believe, from what you have posted, that there are any other options available to your friend at this point.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction? If not, please let me know and we can continue our conversation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How long can a patient at this age go without a transplant?

That is an excellent question and there is now real way to predict. It all depends on how much further her liver fails, what complications she gets from the ascites (lung problems, infection, secondary kidney failure, etc).

In general, I have to be honest with you, the prognosis is poor. Depending on the factors I've mentioned, about half of patients with ascites that is due to liver failure will be alive after 3 years.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick