Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have pnemonia, I am on "z-pack" Am I contagious?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

When did you start the z pack?

RickMD :

When did your symptoms begin?

RickMD :

Is the person you are worried about infecting suffering from immune system problem, like you would see in a person on chemotherapy or having a bone marrow transplant?

RickMD :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : When did you start the z pack?
RickMD : When did your symptoms begin?
RickMD : Is the person you are worried about infecting s
Oops. Part of my post was cut off. Here is the rest of it:

RickMD : Is the person you are worried about infecting suffering from immune system problem, like you would see in a person on chemotherapy or having a bone marrow transplant?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, but, I am around my grandchildren and other family members often,

and I don't want to expose them..I started Z-pack yesterday afternoon, I took two, and one today and 3 more , each one per day.

I think you will OK to be around your Grandkids and other family members at this point. You are already on day two of your Z pack and, since all these people can be expected to have healthy immune systems the risk that you would infect them is very small.

No need to lock yourself into your room. Feel free to get together with your loved ones and watch the Green Bay Packers beat Arizona tomorrow :-)

(By Wisconsin law I had to add that last part lol!)

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick,

THANK YOU, I had a few problems finding your answer, but..that's me and Tech.

you did answer my question.

My friend, is a little concerned because I was visiting them yesterday, PRIOR to the Dr. app. I did not hug, kiss, or touch the children, (ages,3 & 1 1/2 ) but I handed them a couple of gifts, ..Can they be at Risk? they are currently on antibotics for ear infections.

THANK you again.

XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Kathy,

Sorry about the technical problems with the system. Our engineers are working on it :(

There is no need to worry. Kids are a lot tougher than you think they are. It is highly unlikely that you have infected anyone else.

The fact that they are already taking antibiotics makes the chance of they catching what you have even less likely.

I hope you feel better soon. Have a good weekend.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.