Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

What can I do to cure my Hemorrhoids...with out surgery, any

What can I do to cure my Hemorrhoids...with out surgery, any meds available
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

How long have you been suffering with them?

RickMD :

Do they bleed often or just itch etc?

RickMD :

Do you have any medical problem or take any medication?

Customer:

for about 2 months

Customer:

they bleed and itch

RickMD :

Ok. Thanks for that extra information. Are you interested in trying some home treatments at this time or more interested in what a doctor can do for you?

Customer:

yes ...high blood pressure, high chol, pre sugar, asthma...every thing is under control...

Customer:

yes...

RickMD :

Yes....meaning you want information on both what you can try at home and also on what a surgeon/MD can offer?

Customer:

yes a home remedy,

RickMD :

Ok. I'll be happy to go over this with you. First what a surgeon can do for you.....

RickMD :

There are two types of hemorrhoids, internal and external. The most common treatment for hemorrhoids ( I'll abbreviate this with a H if you don't mind...saves typing :) is to put a strong rubber band around them. This causes the H to shrink and go away. Many times you need the band applied two or three times to get rid of the H completely.

RickMD :

If this doesn't work, or the H's are large, than surgery may be needed. This is called a hemorrhoidectomy and is very, very effective.

Customer:

i think my h is internal...I would like to try a home remedy before surgery if possible, I'm also waiting for my doctor to set up an appointment at MGH for a check up or option....need something for now.

RickMD :

There are also some surgeons who do a variation of the above surgery, called a stapled hemorrhoidoplexy. This benefit of this procedure is a faster recovery time and, maybe, less pain. Both of these surgeries require general anesthesia but are done in outpatient surgery with you going home the same day.

RickMD :

Ok. Here is some information on what you can do at home. There are a lot of things to try :)

RickMD :

Topical relief, such as Preperation H are very effective in shrinking the H and controlling the itching. Hydrocortisone suppositories also work well, especially for internal H like you have.

RickMD :

Even something simple like sitting on a cushion (special doughnut ones are available and they work well) or an ice pack can help

RickMD :

You also need to eat a lot of fiber. When you go to the bathroom, bring something to read and just sit there without being in a hurry. You would be surprised how much this simple thing can help....

RickMD :

Last but not least, sitting in a hot bath up to your hips (or deeper if you want), called a sitz bath -- because you are sitizzing in the bath I guess lol! -- two or three times a day, and after a bowel movement can be tood.

RickMD :

Well. We have covered a lot of things here and I've put out a lot of information.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

yes doc..I see some pills on the Internet that say they work well...what do you know about them and do they work..

Customer:

thanx; carmen

RickMD :

My Pleasure.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Oops....I would not trust the pills on the internet....most of that stuff is a scam. Just go with what I have said here....