Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have a question. My husband has been having right side abdominal

I have a question. My husband has been having right side abdominal pressure off and on under the rib cage for several months. Dr. originally attributed it to him being constipated, but it has not improved though his constipation has gotten a bit better. No pain. He is a recovering alcoholic (has not drank for over 4 years) and has a AST slightly elevated at 44 (ALT and all other normal). No other symptoms other than digestive and pressure. I am terrified of cirrhosis. Dr. said liver feels normal and no other symptoms, but I am scared. He drank heavily for about 16 years with about 4 years of sobriety mixed in there.
I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

There are a number of issues, especially given your husbands clinical history, that could be causing the pain he is having.

He might have a blood clot to his lung, pancreatitis, gall bladder disease, torn intracostal muscle or rib problem,intestinal diseases and, yes, even constipation.

Since he has seen his doctor while having these symptoms I would expect that most of the above issues were thought of and ruled out.

That being said since he is still having pain, perhaps it is time for another opinion. At this point I feel a consultation with a gastroenterologist would be useful.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. I am literally in a panic. Crying/shaking/very upset. Do you think cirrhosis is likely? he feels fine other than these symptoms.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. I am literally in a panic. Crying/shaking/very upset. Do you think cirrhosis is likely? he feels fine other than these symptoms. ALso, no pain at all, just pressure

I can fully understand how much this can upset you.

You can rest easy on this issue as cirrhosis is not, as a general rule, painful. Patients with cirrhosis usually have jaundice (yellow skin/eyes), itching, easy bruising, loss of appetite and a feeling of being weak and tired all the time.

Not pain.

I hope this helps you feel a bit better. Your husband is lucky to have someone who loves and cares for him as much at you obviously do....

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you as you try to help your husband.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. My anxiety sucks :(. sometimes he doesn't feel lucky to have me when i panic.

I feel better. Again, there is no pain just pressure. Does that make any different as far as cirrhosis goes? his appetite is great, no itching, no weight changes. He is very physically active. Also, are constipation/diarrhea common for this.

And yes, after this answer, I will gladly tip you for all of your help :)

From everything that you have posted, I do not think cirrhosis will end up being what is causing his problem...so that is the good news.

The bad news? Even with a complete workup sometimes the cause for pain like his is never found. Hopefully it will go away one day on its own.

Yes, constipation/diarrhea/intestinal issues are a common cause of pain like this...a GI doctor will be able to decide if anything like that is going on.

As a father of 5 kids I've learned that, sometimes, love leads to anxiety :) Hang in there!