Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

HOW DO YOU KEEP FOOD FROM GOING INTO LUNGS

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

First of all the physical abnormality that is causing you to aspirate food needs to be identified.

RickMD :

Once this is known then a specific therapy, medicine or treatment can be done.

RickMD :

Placement of PEG tube directly into your stomach will bypass the vast majority of reasons that food would go down into your lungs and solve the problem

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : First of all the physical abnormality that is causing you to aspirate food needs to be identified.
RickMD : Once this is known then a specific therapy, medicine or treatment can be done.
RickMD : Placement of PEG tube directly into your stomach will bypass the vast majority of reasons that food would go down into your lungs and solve the problem
RickMD : Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

WHAT IS A PEG TUBE AND WHERE OD HOW IS IT INSERTED

A PEG tube is placed by a surgeon through your abdomen and directly into your stomach.

Here is an excellent article that discusses how this is done in detail:

http://www.uhb.nhs.uk/pdf/PiHavingPegInserted.pdf

My grandfather had one for years and it worked great for him.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.