How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 11160
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Rick, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a bunch a cluster of red bumps on the head of my penis.

This answer was rated:

I have a bunch a cluster of red bumps on the head of my penis. I would like to know if this could be an std. I recently have had sex with one new partner (2 weeks ago) and want to make sure. So far we have had sex 3 times and each time I have worn a condom. She has also given me oral sex each time without a condom on.
Do you have any discharge from your penis? Burning on urination? Or just the bumps?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just have bumps. No discharge no burning sensation.

Ok. Well, from what you have stated, using a condom would go a long way toward protecting you from a STD....but, of course, nothing is perfect.

The most common cause for bumps like you are describing, with no other symptoms, is a condition called balanitis, which is basically just an irritation of the tip of your penis. This should resolve with keeping things clean and dry. Rarely antibiotics are used.

It may also be angiokertomas, which require no treatment, or pearly penile papules. PPP are more common in uncircumcised men.

From what you have posted, it does not sound like herpes or any other form of STD to me. However, if you are concerned, it is a simple thing to be tested.

What is the take home message here? From what you have posted I believe you are suffering from balanitis due to some sort of irritation, possibly the spermicidal stuff in the condom.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That was a very detailed answer so thank you for that. If it is any of those 3 is there some over the counter ointment that I can put on it to help if go away much quicker?


You could try some 1% hydrocortisone cream once a day for 4 or 5 days. That might help, although, really, none of those issues require any treatment and usually resolve on their own.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, MD and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you