Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience

how fast does nizoral work to reduce cortisol levels?

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 3 years ago.
In humans ,cortisol response to ACTH was blunted 4 hours after a dose of 400/600 mgm of Nizoral. This action persisted for upto 8 hours,the action finished by 16 hours after taking the drug.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I am asking this question, the reason being is i need to lower my cortisol levels for a blood test. My endocrinologist wants to see how low my cortisol levels can go. She has given me a ten day pack of nizoral tablets. what is the best way to get the lowest reading for my blood test? as in, when should i be taking the tablets prior to the blood test?
Get tested after taking the pills regularly for 10 days,at least 4-6 hours after taking the last tablet.Continuously taking Nizoral will reduce the cortisol secretion to the maximum.Since the maximum effect is seen 4 hours after taking the Nizoral,it is best to be tested after that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So how many mg a day should I take and for how many days should I take nizoral prior to blood test considering isn't 600mg the required dose for cushings? I'd like to get the blood test done Monday afternoon which means I have tonight and tomorrow and Monday morning to lower cortisol levels.
Ideally it would be best to take the cortisol test after taking the Nizoral for at least a couple of weeks.If that is not possible,you should take the Nizoral for as long as you can before taking the test.400-600mgm daily would be adequate to reduce the cortisol levels,that is why it is the dose for Cushing's.Give the blood at least 4 hours after taking the drug.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
and will i have side effects from the nizoral? i dont want to feel sick at work
Certain serious side effects have been seen with Nizoral tablet orally.Severe Hepatic toxicity has been seen in some case,cardiac toxicity and serious drug interaction are also known to occur.The drugs which show interaction include the nonsedating antihistamines like Astemazole/Terfenadine,Amoidarone/Cisapride. Depression and altered thoughts including suicidal tendencies are also known to occur. Paraesthesia,numbness,tiredness,fatigue are known to occur.Nausea ,vomiting ,pain abdomen have also been noted with this drug.Bleeding disorders and easy bruising may occur in some patients.Monitoring of liver function,getting regular bleeding time and clotting time done will help.Yellowing of eyes,clay coloured stools,brown urine and altered liver enzyme tests may occur.Serious side effects with the salt are rare,though first dose toxicity is seen in some cases.The drug is avoided in patients trying to get pregnant or who are breast feeding.You need to be checked regularly by your doctor and a close watch needs to be kept on any potential problems.Alcohol should be avoided,as there is a possibility of antabuse like reaction with the drug,al;so the chances of liver toxicity will increase if alcohol will be used along with the drug.