Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I woke up this morning with a pain below my left ribs almost

I woke up this morning with a pain below my left ribs almost on the side of my body. It was a littlee sharp when I first woke up, and then got better except when I take a very deep breath and my ribs stretch. I've been training for a triathlon and swam pretty hard on Monday night, so wondering if it's just something muscular or could be something internal. I feel it only when I take I'm not feeling any other symptoms really. I took my temperature and have a very slight fever 99.1, but also felt like I had a tiny bit of a cold. Maybe also slight gassy feeling in my stomach, but nothing else.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

it sounds to me that you might have pulled a muscle during your training and, on top of things, you may be coming down with a touch of the flu.

RickMD :

Not good news when you are in training, I know, but -- on the positive side -- I do not think there is anything serious going on.

RickMD :

I suggest you use a heating pad on the area, take some tylenol and try to tone down your training regime for the next 48 hours or so.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer:

OK so even if the pain mostly happens when I inhale deeply, nothing to worry about?

RickMD :

Best of luck in your upcoming triathlon. I was a triathelete during my undergraduate days so I know exactly what you are going through -- as I was 22, not 35, at the time :-)

RickMD :

As long as you are not having any other symptoms I would bet that you sprained or tore an intercostal muscle...and the only treatment for that is rest and time....

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

it does

Customer:

no real flu symptoms yet, although I haven't been getting enough sleep and have been traveling a lot

Customer:

so maybe just need to rest up

Customer:

the triathlon is sunday (and my goal is just to finish)

Customer:

would you recommend just going easy (maybe swimming only) and keeping an eye on it?

RickMD :

Rest up and relax some. You should be able to compete Sunday as long as you take it easy. If have increasing pain, don't push too hard -- pull out and finish the next one.

RickMD :

Best of luck to you in your training. Have a good evening

RickMD :

Light swimming and easy biking should be OK. I'd hold off on the running for 48 hrs

Customer:

OK thanks Dr.!

RickMD :

My pleasure.

Another expert suggested that it is possible that you could have a pulmonary embolism or, maybe, even a problem with your pancreas.

These are good thoughts and while, from what you posted, I believe you are OK, should things seem to be getting worse or you are in anyway concerned, a visit to your MD would not be a bad idea. When it comes to your health it is always better to err on the side of caution.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck on Sunday.