Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

mild inflammation and redness in throat from smoking due to

Customer Question

mild inflammation and redness in throat from smoking due to mononucleosis?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 2 years ago.
How much do you smoke,is it only tobacco,or includes cannabis?Have you been to your doctor and been investigated by a throat swab for strep/staph as also for MONO?Has LaryngoPharyngeal Reflux Disease(LPRD) secondary to reflux of acid contents of the stomach been ruled out?Do you also have symptoms of allergic rhinitis/allergic sinonasopharyngitis with post nasal drip?When was the Mononucleosis diagnosed?Are you on medication for any other disease?

I have not received any answer from you.I will assume that you are still smoking cannabis regularly.The cannabis smoked by any means(cigarettes,bong,pipe) contain severely irritating organic substances and chemicals which are almost 10 times more irritating than tobacco smoke.Constant exposure to cannabis smoke will result in chronic pharyngeal irritation,inflammation and redness.There will also be chronic sinusitis with a post nasal drip which will contribute to the irritation of the pharynx.This redness and inflammation is likely to remain for a few months and will go gradually after stopping cannabis exposure..The mononucleosis may have been a contributing factor earlier,but should not be a problem currently..It would make sense to stop the cannabis completely,as this known to cause dependence and personality changes apart from other damage to lungs and other organs apart from throat inflammation.

Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi varul..thank you for your reply..sorry i didnt get your replies..PLEASE get bacck to be ASAP as i have been asking for answers everywhere and it seems like you know it all

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry vakul* heres my story..PLEASE read it and get back to me

I used to smoke all the time. cigarettes and weed. my throat felt just fine. around 4-5 months ago in June i was sharing a bong with my friend who was very very sick (sneezing and coughing) i was stupid and got his saliva and i felt very sick the next day. a week later i went to the doc and was diagnosed with mono. before being diagnosed i tried smoking and felt a slight dry burning sensation in the back of the throat when i smoked..since then it took a week to feel better as i couldnt swallow at all, i had vomiting ,and high fever...nothing enlarged. when if elt better i tried smoking again and EVERYTIME i smoked i had a burning sensation in the throat, the more i smoked the worse it would get. its been going on for 4 months since June so i finally quit it and i would wait 1-2 weeks then smoke and have the same feeling. i have quit it all and have seen many doctors, they said i have post nasal drip so i am taking sinus nose rinse with spray,they say it could be acid reflux so i am taking prilosec, and benadryl from my allergies along with vitamin B capsules once a day. i also saw a doctor 3 weeks ago who put a tube through my nose to look into my throat and he said it was mildly red and inflamed. i am guessing everytime i smoke i set back my healing time. NOTE: i have no pain AT ALL from anything other than smoking..it burns my throat really bad. i have quit now for 2 weeks not smoking anything and will continue to quit for another 10 weeks. that is why im here. i am asking you, how long will something like this take??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

also doc your saying it will take a few months..i keep waiting 1-2 weeks and smoking and i feel the same pain...is this because i dont give it enough time then? i have now quit for 2 weeksand plan on doing so for another 9 weeks until January. do you think this is good enough time for my throat to heal from the inflammation and mild redness? i mean, i never get ANY pain from swallowing, eating, anything, only from cannibis smoke everytime it hits my throat it burns very bad, a pain i never felt prior to mono. tobacco smoke NEVER seems to irritate my throat

The acrid smoke from the cannabis weed is a strong irritant.You need to stop smoking cannabis for a long time for the chronic irritation to go away,it is said that every joint you smoke is as good as 20 cigarettes( of tobacco in terms of inflammation and irritation to the soft tissues and lungs.You need to stop the cannabis completely for as long as it takes to allow the throat to heal.It is likely to take as long as 6 months or more for healing to occur.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

6 months? all doctors say takes several weeks but not 6 months..how come in your first post you said few months now 6? i know smoking is harmful and not good for me but i miss it ..cigarettes and joints dont burn my throat at all but pipes and bongs cause chronic pain everytime i inhale the smoke..can you please tell me any way to make the healing faster and why you think it can take 6 or more months..i really cant wait that long

It would be best to give you a conservative estimate rather than give you false hope.The only way you can probably help is by stopping cannabis smoking,use of Neti Pot and Jal Niti for saline irrigation of the nasal passages has been known to help .This is a yoga method of healing chronic sinus and nasopharynx issues.Warm saline irrigations done regularly have helped in chronic problems and may help aid early healing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well i know, but everybody i ask say "several weeks" or "few months" how come you said few months at first now your saying 6months to 200 years? i am getting more and more depressed because of this, i used to love smoking and now anytime i smoke any type of cannibas it really burns my throat. smoking cigarettes are fine even joints. i have had this going on for 4-5 months now and smoked through the pain but it is NOT the same. i am not touching any type of smoke until i am healed, so dont worry. i have only smoked on two occasions this entire month and none in the prior 2 weeks, and plan on not smoking for another 2 months until the new year has arrived in January 2013. NOTE : my redness/inflammation the ENT doctor looked at said it was "mild" not "chronic" and told me it takes several weeks to heal. are you telling me that the irritation will not have healed at all by then?are you serious? i might as well kill myself if i have to wait a year for this to heal.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

please get back to me onall of that ASAP doctor. one last question too is how in the world would i know if my throat has healed or not UNLESS i try smoking cannibas? i mean its not like i have pain any other time,and bysmoking it even ONCE doesnt it irritate the throat again????and set back the healing time for another 5 months just because of 1 toke

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

iwillalso give you excellent rating soon, just please try and get back to me on these last questions.also , do you think my acid reflux hasanything to do with this? ive been avoiding acidic foods/drinks and sleeping with head elevated..does this even help me at this point

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi please get back to me

thanks

There is no need to be upset.Most patients I have seen with this problem have recovered in about 3-6 months time after abstaining completely from cannabis,though some literature mentions the time frame to be as long as 6-10 months.Abstaining from irritating the throat by not exposing it to cannabis smoke is essential.It would be best to stop smoking cannabis regularly till complete recovery occurs,you may indulge yourself occasionally rather than regularly after that.Please give me a positive rating to release my dues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

okay thank you for your help doctor. i have 1 last question before i give you your excellent feedback rating , and that question is, you said the time frame can be from 3-6 months or 6-10 months for people who smoke regulary. for the good part of the last two months or so, i havent been smoking regulary . i have been able to stay away from any smoke for 1-2 weeks then try smoking only to see the pain is still there. my question is, can smoking on one occasion drastically irritate my throat and affect its healing rate? i mean for the last 1-2 months i have only smoked cannibas in 3-4 different occasions. now knowing this info, i am not going to touch it at all until it fully heals, and my other question is, how would i know my throat is healed from this...unless i try smoking in 3 months from now? correct? and if i smoke and it still hurts then i am just further irritating my throat..correct

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

also doctor vakul i gave you the feedback. please try and get back to me with those last questions thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

also doctor, before you give me your final reply i have one more thing to ask you: several doctors have told me my postnasaldrip and possible acid reflux can further the healing time and cause more throat irritation. i have cobblestoning in the back of my throat signaling i have post nasal drip still but i have controlled it with nasal rinse, benadryl, sprays, etc.

since it seemslike you have had patients with this problems, is it likely that acid reflux/ Post nasal dripcan affect the irritation to cannibas smoke? or is this not likely

Cobble stoning is a sign of chronic pharyngitis secondary to Post nasal drip(PND),chronic irritation very hot/spicy food/ noxius fumes and smoke.The jal niti by using a neti pot regularly will help correct this too.Stopping cannabis will go a long way in resolving your symptoms.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hey doctor sorry for unexpected reply but i have a quick question; ive listened to your advice and have retained from smoking anything or drinking any alocohol for the past 3 weeks except for yesterday when i was feeling very depressed and had 1 cigarette. do you think this 1 cigarette will further irritate my throat after not smoking a thing for the past 3 weeks or will it not really do much harm?

Please allow the throat to recover completely by not irritating it with cannabis smoke.You will undo the benefit of abstaining for 3 weeks by smoking in this fashion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes i understand...i havent been around cannabis smoke but if you read what i said i said that i have abstained from everything for the past 3 weeks until yesterday when i smoked 1 cigarette. do you think that 1 cigarette would harm my throat? i mean it was only one and cigarettes never seem to irritate my throat thats why i smoked one...also i have realized after abstaining for 3 weeks i have had less phlegm in my throat and less clearing of the throat...i am also able to speak with high pitched voice as i was unable to before

You are not allowing the throat to heal but are causing recurrent irritation by such actions.Please understand that your problem is related to smoking cannabis which you apparently cannot abstain from for long spells which are required for proper healing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

again..i didnt smoke cannabis, ihave refrained from it. i had 1 cigarette yesterday, the first thing i smoked in 3 weeks

my question is do you think this 1 cigarette will cause severe irritation?

You have to realise that smoking tobacco/cannabis irritate your throat and sinuses.Apparently your system cannot take even the tobacco smoke while it is in its current recovery mode.Even one puff of a cigarette contains enough irritants and chemicals to cause your body to respond negatively. Bronchospasm,sinus irritation,throat irritation and mucus production from the trachea can be caused by cigarette smoke,also selling of the mucosa of the bronchial tree will be increased.I suggest you quit tobacco and cannabis for at least 6 months and then evaluate the need to smoke again.Please rate the answer positively to proceed further.

You appear upset as I have suggested that you stop smoking,hence the negative rating.Dryness of the mouth and pharyngeal irritation can indeed be secondary to tobacco smoke.As a doctor it is my job to provide you precise and correct information,however unpalatable.I would be grateful if you correct the rating to a positive one like good service.I am here to provide any information you may need.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hey doctor sorry to bother you but i have another question regarding our whole topic

i have came up with a new theory that i might just be allergic to cannabis. i realized when i tried smoking for the first time in over a month yesterday i had the same throat pain that kills my throat everytime i smoke cannabis. cigarettes and hookah are fine. i try numbing my throat up with chloraseptic spray and that doesnt work at all either. instead of tasting the weed i just taste dry burning leaves in the inside part of my throat (connecting with my tongue) when i smoked for the first time in a month i realized whenever i was i breathed in the smoke after i exhaled it that it burned my nose and whenever my eyes were in conact with the smoke it didnt make them red or watery but it did burn my eyes. is it possible that for years of no problem smoking cannabis that i could have developed a severe allergy towards it? if so, will i be scarred for life from getting mono 5 months ago while smoking with my sick friend ?? if this is allergic will it ever go away ?? and is there anything i can do to solve the issue fast like take allergy shots ?? please try to help and

READ all of this.

also one last question, i remember you said "my patients have recovered from this in 3-6 months" is this true? what exactly were the patients having problems with when they smoked cannabis? was it the same reaction im explaining? were they allergic?

There usually is no cannabis allergy,rather the acrid smoke contains many irritating and noxious fumes due to the cannabis affects the bronchial tree and the sinuses, pharynx,larynx badly.As mentioned earlier,one cigarette of cannabis can be more harmful than a pack of cigarettes.The chronic sore throat develops within one year and persists in heavy smokers.A study found that even asymptomatic cannabis smokers had distal airway damage which in the long term can also cause severe respiratory problems.Sinusitis,laryngitis and pharyngitis are common complaints and will heal only when the cannabis is stopped.
The patients who recovered stopped cannabis and tobacco completely.The sore throat became better gradually ,the wheeze and breathlessness also improved dramatically over the months.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hey thanks for your reply. so you dont think i could possibly be allergic ? because ive noticed when my nose and eyes come in direct contact with marijuana smoke they burn..my eyes dont water or red but they burn..i also dont have wheezing or breathliiness or any of that my sinuses are always clear but like i said since i got sick i did develop chronic rhinitis, post nasal drip, cobblestoning, redness and inflammation in throat...and everytime i smoke cannabis ( i waited a month and a half and tried 2 days ago) i had the same EXACT feeling. i try numbing up my throat with throat spray but to no avail. my doctor had no idea about anything that had to do with cannabis, but she did tell me it takes around half a year (6 months) to fully heal from all this

If you recollect,I had put the figure at about 6 months of abstention from cannabis for healing/recovery.Similarly,cannabis causes sinusitis/pharyngitis/laryngitis and associated symptoms like post nasal drip along with asymptomatic inflammation of the distal airways if the lung.The information I am giving you is from regular articles and studies and is not manufactured.The harmful effects of cannabis smoking are dangerous,it is best to give up this drug dependence as it may affect you physically,mentally and has been known to cause squamous cell dysplasia and increased incidence of lung cancer in the long run!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hey thanks for the reply, i came here online to ask you guys since alot of the doctors i see in person just say "QUIT smoking forever" when i ask them how long i should wait before smoking. thats obviously not the answer im looking for. you, and others on here, are actually trying to help me as much as you can. and i know it has harmful effects but honestly i feel its very harmful when im smoking it now- with pain. i notice my hands shanke more often when im trying to do something that causes focus, something that never happened before. i also notice instead of a normal mental high i would get that my entire body gets high as well, if that makes any sense. and honestly i know having this drug dependence is not good but i never viewed it as a drug before. i used to smoke it all the time and it would help me with so many things from anxiety, sleeping, studying, reading,relaxing, etc.

The good thing about cannabis is that the dependence is psychological, not physical.That means that there will be no severe symptoms of withdrawal upon stopping the drug.The omitting of the cannabis will have a very positive effect on your health,thinking as well as life in general.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi sorry to bother you i remember you saying your patients recovered within 3-6 months after complete abstinence from cannabis and smoking cigarettes. what other symptoms did they have? what other reactions besides pain in throat did they have ? did they say they never used to have a problem with smoking?& how did they start getting this pain in the first place ?? thanks

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
Most were regular cannabis smokers with symptoms of sore throat,pain and irritation in the throat and post nasal drip probably secondary to sinusitis.The symptoms abated gradually after cessation of smoking tobacco and cannabis.The pain was the first symptom to improve ,followed by irritation.The pain was due to chronic inflammation secondary to chronic Pharyngitis due to irritation by chemicals found in the weed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when you say pain and irritation you mean when smoking weed or in general? because this has been happening to me for 5 months now ever since i got sick with mono. also whats the difference between pain and irritation ...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you also dont think what i have can be permanent..can it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

and doctor how bad were your patients pain? because for me as soon as 1 bit of cannabis smoke enters my mouth the entire back of the throat starts hurting really bad. the more hits i take the worse it gets but even one puff really gives me alot of pain..as opposed to hookah and cigarettes where i get NO PAIN at all

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
The pain was fairly severe,it is suggested that this is due to the different chemicals that accompany the THC in the cannabis cigarette.Probably the smoke passes through the water in the hookah absorbing these chemicals preventing the irritation and inflammation.This condition is unlikely to be permanent and will resolve with time and abstention.Apparently this is dose related if it is aggravated by one puff and increases with more hits.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hey sorry to bother you but have you ever heard of a case where someone is allergic to cannabis? i say this because whenever i smoke cigarettes or hookah i dont have a problem but 1 puff of weed literally kills my throat of pain. i also get shakey and a bit of a problem breathing which never happened before i got mono. i know you said that cannabis has a lot of different chemicals but i can take a huge amount of hookah smoke and not feel a thing but once a little bit of smoke gets in my throat it hurts very very bad

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
The water in the hookah filters out most of the chemicals leaving the THC and tobacco smoke.The THC by itself cause short term modest bronchodilation thus preventing any bronchoconstriction caused by the tobacco and the tars of tobacco and cannabis smoke remaining after the filteration through the water.This helps prevent the severe cough and irritation(the irritation is usually secondary to the chemicals associated with the cannabis).The throat irritation and pain is usually due to the allied chemicals which are burnt along with the cannabis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

oh i see so your prettyy positive that im just sensitive to cannabis smoke rather than being allergic right? im quitting for 6 months to see if this resolves; if i do try it 6 months from now and get the same feeling;what does this mean ? because honestly i wont try to quit again for another year or two to see if it does anything id just give up hope.

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
I am sure you will not only get better,your mind frame will change for the better.You will not feel the need to smoke cannabis again.Your thought process will become positive and you will be in a much better frame of mind.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yeah probably, thanks for all your help. i keep asking you because you seem to be the most useful on this site and out of all doctors ive seen in person. i just find it strange how ive had this issue for 5-6 months now and it only hurts my throat when i smoke cannabis, nothing else seems to irritate it at all. this is why i think it might be allergic related but then again it could just be the chemicals in the bud ..

and then again i have everything you mentioned ; chronic rhinitis post nasal drip and all that other stuff. i was able to look in my throat with a tv last time i went to the doctor and where i have rhinitis it was cherry red

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
The problem is definitely not due to allergy to THC/Cannabis.It is the cocktail of toxic chemicals in the cannabis smoke which harm the throat,larynx and nasopharynx.Abstaining will definitely help.Please rate the answer positively.Thank you.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i know that but cant it be allergy to pollen? in which case it would make sense why my throat feels like its being ran over by a bus everytime i take even 1 puff of cannabis smoke. it seems like as soon as the smoke goes past my mouth and enters the throat it hurts very bad. and again like i said i can take unbelieveably large hookah hits and long drags from cigarettes without feeling anything

also i think i rated you positive like twice already, does it count each time i do it within the same question? il just give you excellent again since your the only one giving me useful info as your the only doctor ive came across that has had patients with this issue , or as you say atleast

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
The pollen or environmental allergy would stay there all the time irrespective of whether you are smoking or not.The hookah or bong will take care of the irritant chemical smoke which is absorbed by the water thus allowing you to smoke without the irritation.
I have answered your main question and at least 18 associated supplemental queries for which you have rated me positively only twice.Would you keep answering questions unless your answers are being accepted? I have been treating a large number of young patients with similar cannabis associated problems during my 34 years of practice as a physician.I have had hands on experience in similar cases in the past.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

alright thanks well il rate you for every response from now on hows that sound? and you said:

'The hookah or bong will take care of the irritant chemical smoke which is absorbed by the water thus allowing you to smoke without the irritation "

you do realize i am saying hookah intake of smoke and cigarette /tobacco smoke doesnt feel like a thing AT ALL. now, hookah has water which you say gets absorbed by the water. you also said bongs do the same. i have smoked cannabis out of many bongs since ive been sick and it doesnt make a difference. it hurts very bad still. using a glass pipe / a joint is the same result. very bad burning irritation in the back of the throat. ive tried many things with bongs; going as far as putting ice in it and putting warm water instead of cool. same result.

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.

Let us examine the irritants in marijuana smoke.THC is known to cause loss of immunity.The organic matter found in the weed is also an irritant.Weed smoke causes dryness of the mouth, throat and bronchial tree,it also contains cancer causing compounds apart from irritants which harm the throat,larynx and lungs.The marijuana smoke causes COPD much faster than tobacco smoke.The hookah has a base which contains water through which the smoke passes,this tends to absorb some of the irritants making it easier to smoke the less irritating weed tar and tobacco tar.The long smoking pipe of the hookah will also absorb some of this tar.Bongs do the same thing but to a lesser extent.Inhaling deeply through a bong may negate some of the benefits of the water which is less in amount vis-a-vis a hookah..Irrespective of the method used to smoke,THC or cannabis is harmful from a psychological and physical point of health and needs to be abstained from.It causes loss of immunity,increases chances of COPD and cancer as well as result in alteration of the mental make up.

Vakul Aren, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for all your help and il continue to rate you every response. my question is, say i wait 6 months . right now its december. if the next time i smoke is june, how big of a chance is there that this burning sensation wont be there ? and if it still IS there, where do i go from there ? i think i just have to completely quit doing what i loved to do then ...

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
After 6 months of not smoking Cannabis,your throat inflammation would have settled and the chronic pharyngitis would have healed.The sinusitis and bronchial irritation would be also have improved dramatically.The irritation caused by the weed smoke and tar will however remain the same,the burning sensation and irritation caused by the organic matter burning and tar of the weed smoke will return even if you smoke after 6 months of abstention.It would be best if you quit the dependence on the marijuana and stop smoking the cannabis.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i am so confused then you were saying you had patients who recovered from this in 3-6 months and i can indulge my self occasionally rather than regularly...how will i be doing that if the burning sensation and irritation is going to be there after 6 months of abstention? whats the point in "waiting to see" in 6 months then

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
The recovery occurs when the source of the problem,the weed smoke /tar and chemicals,stop irritation of the pharynx/larynx/sinuses.The abstention is the only way for recovery from the constant irritation which occurs due to smoking cannabis.I have always maintained that complete abstention is the answer and the dependence on cannabis has to be given up for complete recovery.The 6 months is the minimum recovery time required for the inflammation of the pharyngeal tissues to settle down.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes i understand, your telling me abstention is the only way to fully recover from the irritation and burning sensation then your also saying that the burning sensation and irritation will remain even after 6 months or a year or even two years of complete abstention. so i'm furthermore lost

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you're also telling me 6 months is the minimum recovery time when you said your patients recovered from it in 3-6 months

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.

If you go back to our conversations earlier(I think it would be on 10/31/2012),I have repeatedly stressed that full recovery will take 6 months or longer,I have even stated 8-10 months as the time frame for complete recovery as mentioned by some authorities.It is not for me to control the tissue recovery time,it will take the time it needs to heal(in the absence of any further tissue aggravation).Please do not be upset,since you have decided to stop the cannabis,give it the time you promised yourself and check the difference it will make to your health and the positive attitude you will regain in your thinking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i know, i am not upset doctor, i am just confused. you said some things said 8-10 months but you also said you had patients recover from this in 3-6 months...and i am still confused as youre saying it takes time to fully heal the tissues and everything but how would any of it even matter if the burning sensation/irritation is going to be there even if i dont smoke for a decade ? my question is, besides for obvious health reasons, whats the point in waiting for healing if the pain is going to be there regardless? i have been using your advice in quitting for 6-8 months so the pain goes away not for no difference you know?

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
The pain will be the first symptom to recover and the time frame of this is the least.Then the redness,irritation and gradually the swelling/post nasal drip/cough will settle down.You will revert to a almost normal status if you abstain,provided you do not restart the cannabis.I am stating figures and facts from reports and literature,there are trials and reports in medical literature which state these findings.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i know, i just dont follow you. you say that the pain is the first symptom to recover but you just said that even after everything settles down that burning sensation pain is still going to be there?

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
The pain will come back if cannabis is smoked again as that will expose the throat to irritant smoke and cannabis tar/chemicals which will restart the process of inflammation of the pharyngeal tissues all over again.If you do not smoke cannabis again after giving up ,the healed tissues will not give you any serious problems.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well my question was "is this ever going to get healed and will i ever be able to smoke again" not "should i quit smoking forever because it is bad for my health" i am simply wondering, true or false : if i quit for 6-10 months COMPLETELY from smoking anything and letting my throat heal, will smoking cannbis likely still be very painful as it is right now? if so, that means the pain is permanent, correct?and you said its unlikely to be permanent earlier

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
The pain will resolve once you abstain from smoking the weed for a duration of time longer than 2-3 months.It may reappear if you experiment with smoking again but if you decide to abstain for longer periods your recovery should be complete.The recovery is likely to be permanent providing you do not restart the cannabis for 6 months to 8 months or longer and keep off.We trying to heal your throat,not helping you to smoke cannabis/weed for longer period of times.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thats the part i dont understand. you're telling me the pain will go away in 2-3 months and it may reappear but if i quit say 6-8 months the recovery should be complete. however, you also said that the irritation and burning sensation will return whenever i smoke regardless of the abstention time. am i right ?

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
The cannabis smoke contains chemicals and tar which irritate the pharyngeal and laryngeal tissues causing the sore throat ,inflammation and pain.This effect( the irritation /burning sensation/pain due to sore throat) of the cannabis smoke shall remain even if you smoke again after 6 months or longer gaps of say 2 years.The abstaining from smoke will remove the irritants allowing recovery of the throat tissues,but regardless of the time elapsed,the irritation /burning sensation shall return upon restarting smoking cannabis.A harmful or toxic stimulus like fire shall always cause a burn whenever exposure to it occurs,similarly cannabis smoke has the potential to cause damage whenever exposure to it will occur.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so youre saying no matter how long i quit smoking cannabis everytime i do so it will hurt. then i ask you again, why did you tell me you had patients who recovered in 3-6 months or more and were able to smoke again? i never ever had pain smoking anything until i got sick. if the pain is going to return regardless of how long i quit since the cannabis contains many irritating chemicals, whats the point in quitting besides for my health??

if im reading this right, verifiy this to me: no matter how long i quit, you suspect my throat will still feel the same burning sensation pain from cannabis, even if i quit for 6 months or 10 years it wont matter? if thats right then why did i have this whole long conversation and pay money for your responses when you could have told me the pain whenever i smoke cannabis will be permanent pain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

im not sure your following my question either. you said that if i abstain from cannabis for 6 months or so i will be "back to normal status and the sore throat pain goes away first within 2-3 months then the redness and inflammation settles"

i am already in a normal status. everything is fine. i only have 1 problem: very chronic throat pain everytime i inhale the least bit of marijuana smoke..thats what i want solved if you know anything on that please share your info if not il stop trying to ask you questions you have no idea to and wasting your time.

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
We appear to be repeating ourselves.Please do not accept this answer. I will opt out as I cannot get my point across to you.The marijuana smoke will always cause irritation in the throat ,this is a fact which you need to accept.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i understand, so youre saying it caused irritation even before i had issues smoking. if i wait 6-8 months or so before smoking anything the pain , however, will not be there anymore like it is now. it still irritates the throat like cigarettes do and hookah

as that what youre saying?

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
You are on the right track.The cannabis has chemicals which dry the throat and larynx and cause irritation.Unwanted organic matter which is burnt(herbal contaminants,fungal and bacterial contamination)have also been a problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yeah i understand, im saying i dont have any issues unless i smoke cannabis thats the problem i want to resolve. i want to be able to smoke pain free.

do you think if i abstain my self for 6-8 months or this pain will go away when smoking as long as a indulge my self occasionally rather than regulary like you said?

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
That is something which is quite possible,as long as the occasional indulgence remains just that.You will need to avoid regular cannabis smoking to prevent recurrence of symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi doctor i was talking to one of my friends earlier today and i explained to him my problems as far as pain when smoking cannabis. i told him how its only when smoking cannabis and i never had this issue prior to gaining mono. i told him where it hurts in my throat and he said that it could be my glands. and then he went on to say you could have become allergic to it if your glands are very sensitive to the smoke. what do you think on this?

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
It is unlikely that you would be allergic to cannabis as that would involve other symptoms like generalised urticaria/itching,bronchoconstriction,Rhino-sinusitis,increased acidity,palpitations and others.You are having symptoms secondary to the cannabis smoke causing inflammation in the throat..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

are you sure because whenever i go to the doctor to check my throat as to see whats wrong with it and why it hurts to smoke they say its red + inflammation. but nothing serious. they say it can my post nasal drip can be because of allergis and acid reflux and i have been burping alot lately, however thats all i even no itching at all

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
Tobacco and marijuana smoking cause sinusitis which in turn causes the post nasal drip.The redness and inflammaton as mentioned repeatedly is due to the cannabis smoke/chemicals/tar inhalation which irritate and inflame the throat larynx.This is not due to allergy to cannabis.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so you believe if i stop smoking period for 6-8 months and try to smoke cannabis i will be pain free?

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.

Yes,most definitely the pain will be gone.To keep the pain away you may smoke once in a blue moon,if you smoke more the situation will revert to what it is now..

Vakul Aren, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

havent talked to you in awhile doc but the other day i was smoking and i smoked a lot of cannabis along with wax at a party and i think i have been getting sick these days as ive had runny nose shivering and such in this cold weather and as i was outside at the party smoking a cigarette i felt really shaky and i couldnt stand in 1 spot without complete body vibration then once i went back in and smoked more cannabis my heart was beating very fast and i felt like i was going to have a heart attack. i didnt feel right at all but i eventually got over it what do you think this means

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.

There are usually some organic chemical substances in the cannabis weed ,as also the psychoactive cannabinoid chemicals, which will cause dryness of the mouth,palpitations and elevated heart rates and blood pressure,severe anxiety,dizziness,panic reaction,numbness,disorientation and depression.If this occurs when you are having a upper respiratory tract viral/bacterial infection,you are bound to feel very sick.The sensation will gradually settle down over a couple of hours.I suggest this is secondary to heavy cannabis intake, which should be avoided ,as it is detrimental to your health.

Vakul Aren, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hey vakul, long time no talk. i jus had a quick question:

so far in my abstinence of tabacco and cannabis, i have yet to smoke anything. i am continueing my abstinence for another 2 months and i will attempt to smoke sometime in the summer. i havent smoked in 4 months. HOWEVER, i have ate many hot foods, cold beverages, and spicy food. my question is, in your previous patients did it matter what they ate ? as in, does it matter what im eating and drinking and does it prevent my throat from healing? or is my problem mainly cannabis as the pain only occurs when i smoke cannabis.

thanks

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
Dear Ken,yes it has been a long time and I am glad that you decided to abstain from tobacco and cannabis.Apparently your sore throat is better,,but taking a nonspicy ,temperate diet will help prevent any aggravation of the problem .Though it was originally the cannabis which was responsible for the throat inflammation,it would help if you avoided extremely hot or cold,spicy or peppery food which may irritate the throat.