Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

Dumb question - when you go to the drs for cold-like symptoms,

Dumb question - when you go to the dr's for cold-like symptoms, the dr. always feels the glands in your throat....what does it mean when they are swollen?

I woke up this morning with what felt like an oyster in the back of my throat, then I slept for several hours this morning, now, those glands are swollen and I have a headache. no runny nose, no fever, sneezing a few times. I don't want to waste my time going to the dr. for them to say i have to let it "run its course". I understand without you seeing me, it's not an accurate diagnosis, BUT I've got a lot of work & don't want to go unless he's going to give me a miracle shot to get over this before it gets worse.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Are you feeling tired? Any throat discomfort or anything unusual in head and neck area? Are you otherwise a healthy person? Do you feel the swollen glands in your neck? Are they painful?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

HI!

Yes, very healthy, neck hurts a little, i think because I was in bed for so long. feels like a normal, slight headache, glands are swollen, the left one is a little tenderness. slight pain.

Thank you for the information.
Based on your description, you don't seem to have lots of symptoms at this time. If you feel swollen glands in the side of your neck, then it could be lymph node or an enlarged tonsils. Presence of pain and swelling in such a short time indicate the possibility of infection in that area. The most common cause of infection in that area are viral, but bacterial causes are also possible. Since viral causes are more common and you are not having lots of symptoms, it is quite possible to have viral infection, but you have to keep eye on new symptoms. In most cases, viral infection tends to subside on its own with general measures at home, but if the problem persist or your develop other symptoms such as fever, ear ache, vomiting, cough, expectoration, severe pain in neck or one side of neck etc, then you will have to see your doctor for proper evaluation and blood test to confirm diagnosis, and to treat it appropriately. Even now, if you feel that it is bothering you a lot, then you can have blood test and a physical exam by your doctor to make sure that it is nothing more than a viral infection. If you are a healthy person, then coming out of a viral infection may not be a problem.

Please let me know if you have any other question for me.