Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care
13500761

infection after a post femoral operation, not on the bone

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 1 year ago.
Greetings from New York, this is Dr. Jerry E. I'm so glad you asked this question, let me give you some medical information now.

Please further describe your condition and how I can help you. Indicate your symptoms and how long you have had them. Have you visited a doctor regarding this infection?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Medical history HIP REPLACEMENT 2009 Followed by FRACTURE of FEMUR in2010. In June 2012 EPLACED because it had moved causing pain. On this occasion the surgeon removed the metal bar reinforcing the femur but could not remove the rings ( inbedded in the bone) He had already cut one and this probably is the cause of the infection as it rubbed on the surrounding soft parts. The PET SCAN confirms this. What I want to know is what you think are the best methods to stop the infection Thank you

Please describe the symptoms associated with the infection so I can best judge treatment options.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

symptoms pain on the rights side of the thigh, especially after effort, swelling also erratic ( apparently a ganglion is evident in the PET ScAN)

Tiredness and discomfort during the night. During rest not painful. The point is that we do not wish the infection to spread to the bone. Thank you

I cannot find where to cliclk I ACCEPT

I can appreciate your desire to eradicate this infection before it enters the bone, as you are probably aware of the serious consequences that could occur in such a case.

Has your doctor discussed the implantation of antibiotic-loaded PMMA spacers with you at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you very much. I will see the surgeon tomorrow, but I am glad to have some suggestion. I will keep you informed, for interest sake

I appreciate that. Do you have any further questions for me or would you like me to provide you with more information on this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would appreciate more information, i.e success rate, timing, does it need a full operation (again) Can I be checked beforehand for allergy to components? thank you

I am happy to provide you with this information. Just give me a few more minutes while I gather data... I appreciate your patience.
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience: Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care

It's important to mention that there are a number of ways to adequately treat the type of infection you have described. arthrotomy and lavage, arthroscopic joint lavage , insertion of antibiotic-loaded, systemic antibiosis are common treatment methods. However, The tough part in deciding which treatment option is best depends on the severity of the infection, which is not easy to determine. Therefore, in my opinion, I suggest more invasive procedures when I'm dealing with infections. Considering the difficulty in identifying the type of infection at hand, I believe The "better safe than sorry" approach is the way to go in treating infections.

I will continue with more information on the procedure I mentioned...

Please accept my apologies, but I will be a bit delayed providing you with this information as I am experiencing network issues. My provider is working to solve my problem and I should be able to continue with our consultation within an hour or so. Thank you for your understanding...