Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care
13500761

We live in a remote city in China and my wife has symptoms

We live in a remote city in China and my wife has symptoms of what we think is parasite infection, i.e. diarrohea and stomach p[ains. We also have frequent contact with an eleven year old orphan whom we found in terrible, unhygeinic circumstances.
As there are so many different parasites and we do not have access to sophisticatyed medical services ...

What dosage of Albendazole should we take? We are otherwise in good health.

What dosage would you recommend for the Chinese boy?
Greetings from New York, this is Dr. Jerry E. I'm so glad you asked this question, let me give you some medical information now.

Please indicate how long she has been experiencing these symptoms? Are they worsening?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

About 6 weeks, with occasional relief. not patricularly getting worse.

Okay. Was your wife seen by a medical professional to confirm her symptoms are associated with neurocysticercosis? How long has she been taking the Albendazole?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

neurocysticercosis - long word, beats me, but yes my wife did see a doctor about 3 weeks age qand it was he who prescribed the METRONIDAZOLE and the CIPROFLOXASIN.

The Albendazole - one dose of 400mg once only, taken today

Okay. Did that doctor also prescribe the Albenazole?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No - we purchased a packet today as the best locally available anti-parasiter medication.

Thank you for that information. May I please have you and your wife's approximate weights?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am 78kg, 168cm, very fit and strong, and my wife 70 kg, same height, otherwise healthy. No medications, no known allergies.

Thank you.

You should both take 400 mg of the Albendazole twice daily. You will take one dose first thing in the morning and the other dose before bedtime.

Typical treatment with this medication lasts anywhere between 10 to 30 days. If your wife's symptoms are still present after 14 days, she should continue the medication for the full 30 days.

There are some unpleasant side effects associated with this drug. Some are:
stomach discomfort, headache, nausea, dizziness alopecia and dry mouth.

This treatment, combined with the other drugs previously prescribed by your doctor should remedy your wife's condition.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for your ver thorough approach, Dr Jerry. I wish you every blessing and success,

Les Whykes

You are welcome.

I forgot to indicate the dosage for the child you mentioned. He/She should take a single 400 mg daily dose first thing in the morning. Also, please be sure that you take this medication with food.

Best of luck!