Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

Daily I am awakened by pressure/pain at 2:30 to 3:30am in my

Daily I am awakened by pressure/pain at 2:30 to 3:30am in my abdomen and a bowel movement urge. Sometimes this pain disappears after a BM but sometimes it persists and is accompanied by diahrrea, constipation, vomiting and repeated BM's
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

How often you get these symptoms? Is the pain located all over abdomen or localized to a specific area? Do you see any blood in your stool? Any wt. loss, anorexia, tiredness? Have you ever had any other gastrointestinal problem in past?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Symtoms are daily, sometimes persisting past midmorning.

Discomfort/pain is all over abdomen. After repeated BM efforts I sometimes see blood in my stool--probably hemorrhoidal.

No weight loss, anorexia or unusual tiredness. No gastrointestinal problem in the past

This started some years ago as a minor but persistent morning aggravation. Now it has become a more serious concern, sometimes ruining my whole day.

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
I am sorry to hear about your ongoing symptoms.
I see that you were evaluated and investigated for it.
Based on your description, you seem to have change in bowel movements with alternative diarrhea and constipation, strong urgent urge for bowel movements that resolve after BM, abdomen pain, and vomiting.
Considering your recent finding of diverticulitis, it is quite possible to have all these symptoms related to diverticulitis. In my opinion, some elements of IBS is also present in your case though IBS is common in younger age, but may affect any age group. Urgency of bowel movements and its relief along with abdomen pain is commonly seen in IBS. Some other potential causes of change in bowel movements at your age would be tumor. I think, the best option at this time is to visit your Gastro doctor again and explain the scenario as it is not getting better. They might consider blood and stool test and CT scan for further evaluation and put you on antibiotics to see if you feel better. At your age, these symptoms should not be ignored and must be investigated. The blood that you see could be from hemorrhoids if you have one, or could be related to diverticulitis as it can present like that.

Please let me know if you have any specific question for me.
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.