Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

Is a blood pressure of 153/96 an emergency? It was 161/93

Is a blood pressure of 153/96 an emergency? It was 161/93 earlier.

I can appreciate your concern.

153/96 is not an emergency.

Although higher than normal BP, it is not an emergency at all and you are not at risk.

You can wait and observe. If you develop any symptoms like severe headache, you should talk to your doctor. But with this BP you should not have any symptoms and you can discuss this with your doctor at the next appointment.

For now, lie down quietly in bed in a quiet environment, the BP will come down slowly.

Take care - this is not an emergency - but do discuss with your doctor at the next appointment.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

If my answer has helped you, please click on a four or five star rating, or an 'excellent/good service' rating, depending on what is displayed for you. It is only when you give a high rating that I get credit for my work. Bonus and a good feedback is always welcome.

If you are not yet satisfied, do not go for a lower rating, instead click on the 'continue conversation' button and specify what you feel was left unanswered, I am sure I can help you further.
With regards,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.