Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I have a vein on the right side of my penis that is sticking

I have a vein on the right side of my penis that is sticking out so far that I can grasp it with my fingers, at least 3/8 inch when it is at its worst. When I was 24, this first appeared, and I was worried that it might be a bump from an infection, so I went to a doctor, who told me that it is just a vein. It seemed to vary in severity over the years, sometimes not being noticeable. Recently, after some vigorous sexual activity, it got worse, and doesn't seem like it will go away. It seems definitely to be a vein, which loops out and then back in, beneath the skin. It sees to return to the same place where it emerges. I am thinking of wrapping a rubber band around it, or a twist tie, so that it will be eliminated. My only concern is that the area served by the vein will then be left without service, causing a new set of problems. I seem to remember hearing a few times that if a vein is lost, then others will compensate. I would ignore the problem, but if a woman notices it, there is no doubt that she will freak out. I have no chance at receiving oral sex in this condition, with this bump sticking out of the right side of my penis. It seems like a vein that would normally be tucked inside somewhere, but has found a way out, through a rupture of some sort. In that case, a surgery to tuck it back inside would be appropriate, but I din't really think that's it. My real question deals with the loss of the vein if I remove it one way or another, and what effect that can have on the surrounding tissues being served by the vein. Diagrams that I see online look as if more than one return path is available for blood flow, so that losing a vein won't have much effect. But I don't want to rely on pictures that I saw, alone. I'm 52 now, otherwise healthy, with no disease whatsoever, except cholesterol and triglycerides are a bit high.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ

systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.

Sorry to hear about this.

I assume from your description that the most concerning issue for you right now is the cosmetic appearance due to the dilated vein you see on the penis, and i would have been anxious too if i were at your place.

This is not something which you can call abnormal, rather this is common finding amongst males. However, this needs a careful clinical examination to differentiate it from penile varicose vein.

If this does not hurt you, or causes any other problems during intercourse, then probably this does not require any treatment at all.

In some situations, such as a varicose vein, this can be treated surgically by means laser stripping, vein stripping, ablation, or sclerotherapy.

Like with any medical procedure there are chances of complications (such as scar formation), but in expert hands and with modern techniques, the chances are minimal.

You should see your doctor, preferably a vascular surgeon, and have a clinical evaluation done in detail, which will direct further specific and targeted management plan that will suit best to your needs.

Stay relaxed.

Wish you good luck.

Kindest Regards.

It was a pleasure assisting you and i hope my answer was helpful. I will

appreciate 4/5 Star Rating (Good/Excellent Service) & a Bonus as this is the

only way i get credit for my time & expertise. Do not hesitate to ask any follow up

questions or clarifications any time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your response does not answer my question at all. The question relates to the effect of removing the vein. If I remove it, what effect does it have on the surrounding tissue. I'm not worried about a scar, since a penis is not famous for beauty. This is big enough that it can be felt by me and my partner during intercourse, and cannot be overlooked during touching or especially oral sex. I need to do something to remove it, and need to know what effect the removal of this vein section can have on the surrounding tissue. It is located just behind the penis head, on the shaft. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for reply.

Although rare, but yes you can experience some degree of swelling in the area drained by that vein, which will subside over few days to week as other collateral veins increase their caliber gradually.

There is an equal possibility that you may not develop any complication or swelling due to venous stasis, as this might not be the major vein, or due to sufficient presence of other draining veins.

There wont be any damage to the skin, subcutaneous tissue etc

Whether or not you will develop any problems will depend upon the flow of blood across the vein, which can be studies well by means of penile doppler.

Stay relaxed.

Wish you good luck.

Kindest Regards.

questions or clarifications any time.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities