Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

swelling and pain in wrist

swelling and pain in wrist
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Do you have fever, nausea, tiredness? Do you see redness and difficulty in using your wrist? Have you been diagnosed with joint problems?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no fever,nausea,or tiredness,yes , redness and difficulty using my wrist, no joint problems.

Thank you for the information.
I am sorry to hear about your symptoms.
Based on your description, you seem to have pain, swelling, redness, and difficulty using your wrist. This is not normal at all. There are many potential cause of this kind of presentation, some of them are: tendinitis, sprain, arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, soft tissue injury, or localized infection. Osteoarthritis of wrist joint is less common but can be explored along with other causes. If this is something that you developed overnight or ofter trauma, then you can see your doctor for physical exam, blood test, and x- ray to rule out all those causes. In the meantime, you can take rest, elevate your hand, and use ice pack for symptomatic relief. Taking OTC anti inflammatory meds such as ibuprofen is also beneficial. Sometimes, wrist swelling can be associated with systematic issues, but if you don't have history of any other illness then those possibilities are unlikely. Thus, my suggestion is to continue with conservative measures at home and schedule a routine visit to your doctor for making a final diagnosis.

Please let me know if you have any other question for me.