Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience:  •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.
66242556

What makes my left ear itch deep inside?

Coachrobmd :

Hi, I'm Doctor Robert, a Medical Internist (MD) who deals with diseases of all organ systems. All my education has been completed in the US.

Coachrobmd :

Itching of the ear is due to a couple of things;

Coachrobmd :

1. irritated ear drum

Coachrobmd :

2. foreign body

Coachrobmd :

3. wax buildup (fancy term: cerumen deposit)

Coachrobmd :

4. some medications

Coachrobmd :

5. loud noises

Coachrobmd :

6. liver disease

Coachrobmd :

7. hearing loss

Coachrobmd :

8. infection

Coachrobmd :

9. swimmer's ear

Coachrobmd :

Most of these can be easily distinguished with an exam with that otoscope tool docs shove in the ear.

Coachrobmd :

Please realize this: I am limited to the information that I glean from your posts, as I can't see, talk to, or touch you. I can only give you my approach to the evaluation of your symptoms if you were in my office. That puts me at a disadvantage compared to your doctor who actually sees your body right there in the office. This is just the nature of advising across the internet. A specific diagnosis under these conditions is VERY difficult. If you will only be happy with an EXACT DIAGNOSIS or a TREATMENT/CURE, please STOP reading now and ask for another expert. I don't want a NEGATIVE rating for being honest with you.

Coachrobmd :

But most likey? Ear wax. But do NOT stick anything in there! You'll cause more harm thatn good. Please do NOT stick pencils, paper clips, hangers, etc. into the ear canal. It's VERy dangerous.

Coachrobmd :

Your primary care physician (PCP) will take one minute to look in and give you a reason. Believe it or not, this is NOT uncommon and I saw this in primary care quite often. And most time? Simple ear wax.

Coachrobmd :

You can try Debrox which is available over the counter (OTC) at the pharmacy. VERy safe and easy to use. Just follow the instructions exactly.

Customer:

I just had wax cleaned in ears in May 2012.

Coachrobmd :

And it still itches?

Coachrobmd :

Keep in mind the ear is CONSTANTL Y making wax, so unless it was done within the last week, that is not helpful.

Coachrobmd :

It is the ear's defense against infection.

Customer:

It never itched before....this is a new symptom.

Coachrobmd :

You could have any of the other problems I listed.

Coachrobmd :

That's why you should be seen.

Coachrobmd :

Try the Debrox, as it helps a lOT of people with this complaint.

Customer:

ok

Coachrobmd :

It's very safe and inexensive.

Coachrobmd :

Any other questions I can answer for you today?

Coachrobmd :

Are you satisfied with my advice and feel comfortable leaving a positive rating (GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE) before leaving the chat room (that's the only way I can receive compensation)? Yes or No? If "No", what else can I answer for you?

Customer:

I am a fan of natural remedies, does that stuff qualify?

Coachrobmd :

Yes, it is a natural ingredient that dissolves wax. And it is NOT absorbed into the body at all.

Coachrobmd :

It does the work of a Q-tip, just in a liquid form.

Customer:

that's great, I will try it. Thank you.

Coachrobmd :

Sure.

Coachrobmd :

A positive rating (four or five faces/stars) would be most appreciated (I am NOT a paid employee on this site). If not possible yet, what more can I help you with? Bonuses are always welcome.

Coachrobmd :

Please do not forget to rate this question BEFORE leaving the site by clicking on the one of the two rightmost faces/stars at the bottom of the screen. Otherwise I do not get any credit for my work. Thanks!

Coachrobmd :

If you have ANY questions about what I wrote, please write back for clarification. I'm happy to continue working with you toward a resolution.