Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

I woke up today with severe foot/leg cramp. As I struggled

I woke up today with severe foot/leg cramp. As I struggled to free myself from the severe pain i finially decided to stand out of bed, after a few seconds of standing and trying to straighten my leg I felt stomach sick and then cold, I thought I better sit down. I awoke on the floor face down, fainted. my face brused I went to the doctor , and she said it was probley dehyration . She took Blood pressure and drew some blood to check minerals. She really dismissed this as not super serious, I feel I should ask someone else
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,

Did you have the serum electrolytes done?
Is there any associated leg swelling?
do you take any drugs?
did you have similar episode in past?
any associated fever, vomitting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im not sure if she ordered that, but she did draw 3 vials of blood

No leg swelling . I have a few lumps in both legs my past doctor said were fatty deposits

I take tetca a acid reducer I think for upset sometimes

I have in the past had leg cramps maybe 1 or 2 years between the cramps. They are very severe I fight against the twisting musles for long time

No Fever, Vomitting or nausia, or blurred vision

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,

Thank you for information,

The leg or feet cramps can be caused by some common reasons like dehydration, fluid and electrolyte imbalance, low serum sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, etc.

The other causes are liver cirrhosis, hyperventilation(overbreathing), vitamin D deficiency, poor function of the parathyroid glands,kidney failure etc.

The deep vein thrombosis may also cause leg pain due to poor circulation of blood and impended venous return.You should also have the venous doppler done of the lower legs to rule out DVT. The correction of electrolytes levels is also advised if there is any abnormality after collecting report.The renal function test should also be done to rule out any kidney disease.

The treatment is according to the underlying cause

Here is the link for more information

causes of leg cramps

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess I am feeling abit anxious because I actually fainted. I remember in the past having the severe cramps and feeling nausea but never fainted. I will ask her to follow up on a few more tests that you recommended

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,

You are welcome and have the recommended test done and once the cause of the leg cramps is known then the appropriate treatment should be started according to underlying cause.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Thank you
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice