Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care

My husband has had problems with his bowel for the last 10

My husband has had problems with his bowel for the last 10 years. He cant go out for a meal or a drink without first making sure he goes to the toilet straight after he has eaten or drank anything. Sometimes if he doesn't make the toilet within a few minutes he messes himself and doesn't have any control over his bowel movements. This has been happening more and more recently and I am very worried but he wont go to our GP. Is it something to worry about?
Greetings from New York, this is Dr. Jerry E. I'm so glad you asked this question, let me give you some medical information now.

Has he ever spoke to a physician about these symptoms? If so, has he had a colonoscopy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No he has never spoken to his physician or had a colonoscopy.

Okay. First, he needs to discuss his symptoms with his primary care physician. He will likely be referred to a Gastroenterologist, who will perform a colonoscopy to determine the cause of his issues.

He could be suffering from any sort of condition like Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Chron's Disease. Both of which are treatable. It is important he sees the doctor right away though, to rule out something more serious, like cancer.
Can I answer any questions you may have about the info. I have provided?
Please click on ACCEPT so that I get answer credit. Or If you have further questions-feel free to ask.