How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 63842
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having pain in right shoulder blade,ache in armpit area,

This answer was rated:

I am having pain in right shoulder blade,ache in armpit area, and now down to the pinky. I had shoulder surgery 3 years ago that c,earned up the shoulder but did not clean up slightly torn bicep tendon. I have been running and working out since march. Over the last 2 weeks have been noticing pain, after lifting today is when I noticed some tingling in pinky. Is this related to bad shoulder????
Hello from JA

I am Dr. Thomas, MD, board certified in internal medicine and integrative medicine, so I cover a lot of ground and can help you with your question.

I will either give you an answer right away or have questions for you. Either way, use reply until you are ready to rate the answer: Please note that answers for information and education only.

It is possible that it is related to the shoulder but actually pain that behaves like this in this distribution is more often related to the bottom of the cervical spine.

About C7 and a little further is the ulnar nerve distribution which affects the pinky, so when there is pain extending down to the pinky exclusively it is often the ulnar nerve.
IT could be pinched at the elbow but the elbow and shoulder would be comparatively rare.

What I suggest at this point is that you see a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD.
This is a doctor of PM&R and they are an expert in structure, and can; tell from exam where the pinch is likely to be, and if needed get a cervical upper thoracic MRI to look at the spine.

Better yet they can give you the correct manual therapies to fix this. Thus avoiding the possibility of future surgery.
This might involve
home exercises
physical therapy
specialized traction therapy
Injections or electronic pain therapies if needed.

So I would do this sooner rather than later although it does not sound like an emergency at this point.

Let me know if you have further questions. Just use reply if you are not done.

Please rate one of the positive ratings: the only way we are compensated for time and expertise. If you are not done or satisfied, use reply to expert [not poor/negative]. Come back anytime. Bonuses are great…but your satisfaction is my goal.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites

DrRussMD and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you