Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care

Can the drug Ciprofloxacin be used for skin invections such

Can the drug Ciprofloxacin be used for skin invections such as staph and strep in abscesses?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 1 year ago.
Greetings from New York, this is Dr. Jerry E. I'm so glad you asked this question, let me give you some medical information now.

Yes, Cipro can be used for skin infections such as staph and strep in abscesses. However, certain strains of the Staph infection will not be cured by Cipro treatment. In this case, a more powerful antibiotic, such as Bactrim will be needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr Jerry E, I haven't had much luck with Batrim I'm afraid either. I appreciate your time and expertise. Have you had much experience with Hidradenitis Supprativa? Acne inversa in the inner groin, vaginal area? Sydney, Australia dermatologists are limited in their knowledge and help. Do you think from a medical perspective whether medical "leeches" like the blood suckers in rain forest, humidity environments would assist in the draining of abscesses?

I am not well versed in Hidradenitis Supprative. I haven't seen many cases of it at the clinic I work at.

The most important thing in treating this condition is to try to keep the abscessed as small and clean as possible. You want to prevent these areas from rubbing against other areas of the body or objects, as this will only further inflame them.

Medical leeches may be effective to drain the fluids. I would suggest checking into that further...
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience: Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr Jerry, i appreciate the time you've taken and the honesty in the lack of experience in this particular area. your honesty in being limited in the knowledge in HS is alot better than the dermatology experts i've paid excruciating amounts for advice, until i've pushed for a straight out answer, could''ve saved me wasting finances on non results. Medical profession is vast and wide and specialties are limited and rare dieseases are confounding. Thank you for your attempt.

Being a living expert. keeping them small is not an option they grow and traverse like a living organism with it's own mind. It is creepy in a way. As you watch and feel some of the abscesses fill up with fluid after each drainage you do by hand. How it spreads whether you have them bandaged up or not. Cannot begin to describe better accept watching an active ""thing" that takes shape, expands, grows leaving one helpless and mentally/physically drained.

I would definitely hate to think what cancer is like to experience. With this diesease one has to continually think throughout a day with cancer sufferers either go into remission or death. This, is continuous, ongoing. Only one thing cancer and hs shares. It limits ability to do most things in life. lol. bad humor i know. it gets you through the day. Have a good day/night Dr Jerry.

I wish I had more experience dealing with this condition, so I could be more of a help to you.
In the emergency room, I see a lot of patients with MRSA skin infections. These present similar symptoms to that of Hidradenitis Supprative. MRSA is also very painful and hard to treat as it is resistant to the majority of antibiotics...
I noticed you rated my service as poor and then ok. Can you please tell me why and or let me know how I can satisfactorily assess your needs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr Jerry, unfortunately the rating system doesn't allow for an in between. the response time is good but information re: acne inversa / hs is limited. No disrespect to you as HS is more complex as is MRSA which you can get as a secondary/third diagnosis dependant on how severe an hs site becomes/grows/spreads. I'm trying to seek a different form of relief from constant attacks. Past surgery has left me traumatised by trusting professional surgeons/Drs who advises post op they new what they were doing. Only to discover after the surgery in recovery viewing damage not discussed in consent interview it was there first time dealing with such a disease. I appreciate your expertise in the areas you specialise in. It's just unfortunate the website does not offer or advise if other specialists medico's were available for maybe eg skin dermatology actual.

My intention in my original question was more in line of a particular drug working or providing relief option. As noted drug roxithromycin and your suggested Bactrim are one of a few automatically listed for hs use. One is dormant against the disease the other feeds it in my experience.

Websites on HS and HS foundations are limited also on their technics and methods on how to deal with hs. I've noticed in the hs studies no one has tried medical leeches hence the next query. This was to establish if they could be effective in the symptoms of hs and worth giving a go. The trouble is convincing a professional to allow me to try this method and others. Especially allowing the patient to drain the abscesses themselves if a Surgeon not available.

I'll keep researching. Wish you the best Dr Jerry. Thank you.

Best of luck to you as well...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cannot continue with further questions as my medical condition is not common or knowledgable to obtain answers for.Therefore, outside of Dr Jerry's expertise and not his fault.